1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

98 F150 wont start

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by herb1001, Mar 19, 2011.

1. herb1001

herb1001 Senior Member

98 f150 auto

Not starting:

Jumper box is hooked ok so got the battery covered.

Tried it in both N and P

not cranking at all, but I do here the solenoid click one time when I turned the key.

When I turn the head lights and turn the key I don’t think they are dimming.

Anyone got an ideas. I don’t have a volt meter with me.

2. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

Fuel or fire, sounds like you have fire. Check the fuse for the fuel pump next. Can you hear the fuel pump at all?

3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Really, it's not cranking and you think the fuel pump might be bad??? :dizzy:

If you have a click, you're probably hearing the starter relay, next down the line is the starter. Make sure you have power there (relay could still be bad even if it's clicking) and try tapping on the side of the starter motor with a hammer.

4. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

check your wire from the bat 2 the starter make sure its not grounded 2 your manifolds

5. herb1001

herb1001 Senior Member

no luck with hitting the starter with a hammer

6. rofoth6

rofoth6 Member
    from iowa

9 times out of 10 with me if the syliond clicks then its the starter.
    starter for that truck ( gasser ) runs about 68 dollers
    sylinod about 10 dollars

7. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

My money's on it needing a starter...

8. streetscrapin16

streetscrapin16 Senior Member

I had it happen to me on a 89 f150 and it clicked and it needed a starter.

9. Jgramlich

Jgramlich Senior Member

Starter. Jump the solenoid just in case.

10. bill7101

bill7101 Member

12 volt test lights are a cheap check, go to the started side of the solinoid and have someone turn key to start and see if the light comes on then if it does check it at the starter to make sure the wire isnt bad rules out these issues

11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Take a pair on pliers and use the handles to jump the large terminals on the solenoid. Touch each handle to the large terminals and it should trigger the starter. Be prepared to let go of the pliers. If the starter is dead shorted they will get real hot quick! If that triggers the starter the solenoid is bad. Also the neutral starter switch could be bad or need adjusted.

12. Chris112lee

Chris112lee Member

Probably starter.

13. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

Yep i agree with MIKI I have a 97 F250 with A 5.8 -351 and had same issue placement of the starter on these are easey to get to and install also they can become corroded while under truck while in the winter eliments ( SALT) !!! WILL AFECT ALL TERMINALS ON STARTER.. My bet is the starter -take the 2 bolt out and disconect the cables from the starter and bring it in to a local auto parts store have them bench test it and get a new starter when they say it failed. Not hard to do just a little bit of time Good luckThumbs Up

14. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

Thick Red wire from battery to starter the clip on the end where it boltss to the starter is shot

15. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

on these new mod motors, do they still have the small trigger wire on the solenoid on the starter that goes bad like the old body style trucks had?
    i ain't messed too much with the mod motors, but know all about the small wire connector corroding off on the older engines.