1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

98 F-250 5.4L 4x4 wants to "choke up" at a stop!!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by cardnut, Nov 17, 2007.

1. cardnut

cardnut Junior Member
    from ga

Hi guys, I'm new here and what a kick _ss site!! Awesome...... Got a question because I'm pretty darns slow.......... question is......

My truck acts like it wants to stall when I come to a stop or when I'm on the break comming to a stop...... I just had a major tune-up done about 5 months ago that consisted of replacing internal plugs, coils, fuel filter, air filter, etc... At the same time, my engine light was on and the codes read lean fuel. The mechanic replace a egr? epg? valve... something like that. Anyhow, it fixed the problem and the truck ran great until today. My engine light came on at a stop light and started idling like complete crap. Mashed the gas to go and it acted sluggish until it started going and then it was fine... Got home and started to slow down to pull in the drive way and it started ideling bad again.. At first I thought it might be a alternator problem but my lights wouldn't dim or anything and the voltage is showing good juice.. Do any of you guys have an idea of what may be causing the problem..?? IF so, I'll dance at your wedding or I'll help you bury the one you've got for the help.... LOL......just kidding, I'll just dance.........thanks.........NUT

2. KATTRANSPORT

KATTRANSPORT Senior Member

Go to autozone and have them pull the codes, post them up and mabye I can help you It sounds to me like you have a gross vacumn leak, check all your intake and vacumn hoses

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It could be a few things. Like the idle air control, the throttle position sensor, the mass air flow sensor, the map or a slow EGR response. Till it throws a code that can be pulled your kinda in the dark. Even then, some stuff will not cause a code. Keeps us posted someone will help you out.
    Like he said go to AutoZone it the check engine light comes on. Most newer Fords it's just a little engine symbol that pops up and stays lighted.Try to take it right then,sometimes it goes out the next few start/stop cycles.