1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

98 Chevy Plow Prep?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jdjoe_97, Nov 12, 2001.

1. jdjoe_97

jdjoe_97 Member

Hey guys, just curious what exactly do you get if you have plow prep on a truck. I have a 98 2500 HD 454 Silverado, and am looking at a boss v plow. Says I have to have plow prep on the truck. The truck is in the shop right now so I can't go out and look. If it dosn't have it what am I loosing? Thanks Joe

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Plow prep includes but is not limited to the following.
    Locking rear differential
    Heavy Duty front torsion bars
    Additionial tranny and engine cooling
    High output alternator
    With that truck I would also look into installing front helper springs such as load boosters or monroe mussle.
    Dino

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Gm's used to have a separate relay for the plow lights on the trucks with the VYU snow plow prep.VYU is the code in your glove box,that denoted the plow prep group.The turn signal swithc circuit on GM's is weak,so they use the relay to take the load off the switch,this only becomes a problem if you tow something while the plow is on,all the lights will overload the switch,and blow the fuse,or switch eventually.On a 2500/3500 it includes everything Dino mentioned,the relay,and the F60 HD front springs.On 1500 reg cab 8 ft box,it includes everything on the 2500/3500+ oil cooler,+ HD shocks.

4. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

I didn't think the locker was included in the plow prep package... at least it wasn't in my 1989 or my 2002... you do get skid plates for 2002 though...

5. jdjoe_97

jdjoe_97 Member

Thanks guys, well my truck already has all the extra coolers. Only thing I am a little concerned about is the heavy duty torsion bars. The GVW on my truck is 8600 the heaviest offered in 98 on a 3/4 ton. I haven't went out this morning to look for that VYU yet. I think even if it dosn't have it I will be ok. I does have a additional battery bay already there probably for the diesel option at the time. Thank Joe

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

You want to see VYU,or at least the F60 HD springs.They help a lot.

7. Maverick

Maverick Senior Member

8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The rear locker code is G-80. Look for that as well, it makes a huge difference in the performance plowing.
    Dino