1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

98 Chevy Help

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mbsa, Dec 1, 2006.

1. mbsa

mbsa Junior Member

I have a 98 Chevy with a 5.7. The problem I'm having is some times when you let off at around 1500 RPM it will stay there for awhile? If you put it in neutral the RPM's will drop. I only notice this if it is in first and before it shifts to second? The other day I was pulling a tree branch out and when I started to spin I let off, put my foot on the brake then put it in neutral and it felt like it still had power?
    Any Ideas??
    Thanks in advance.

2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

IAC motor bad, or dirty.
    Low voltage, computer will try to increase engine rpms to charge battery.
    Butteryfly sticking or dirty.

I would start by looking at these things.

3. mbsa

mbsa Junior Member

Lawnmedic,
    Thanks for the info! Could you explain what the IAC motor is? I will check the butterfly also.I think the voltage is okay, but will check it and make sure.

mbsa

4. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

IAC is the Idle Air Control.

Myself I would start with the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)

5. mbsa

mbsa Junior Member

I had a friend of mine put his scanner on it because I thought it was the TPS, but he said it was working fine. He didn't have time to look into it further that day, so that's why I asked here. Thanks for the IAC info!