1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

98 Chevy 6.5 diesel

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by central #2, Oct 25, 2010.

1. central #2

central #2 Junior Member

I have a 98 Chevy one ton with a 6.5 and a code comes up that says injection pump metering control. Whats up ? I have 42000 miles on it and have had 3 pumps replaced so far. Can anyone help? Also where is the best place to get a pump if needed ? Thanks Tom
  2. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I have a 99 Gmc with the same motor... Been nothin but a P.O.A. I have put 5 injector pumps since I've owned it. The latest just 2 weeks ago... I got it from Diesel Performance in Bangor Maine.... Not sure If they are a national company or not,,,,,,, They told me that they have not had one fail that they have rebuilt ... Soo time will tell Good Luck With the truck
  3. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

First it's not typically the pump that fails, but the PMD which is the black box on the side. There are a few people that make kits to relocate the PMD (to get it away from the heat).
  4. plowking15

plowking15 Member

I deal with ss diesel supply in Tonawanda,NY. There are other good companies like Heath,etc. Heat is a big killer of 6.5 diesels. I have to change ops sensor,retorque the remote pmd, ocassionally to keep it running smoothly. I use a lower thermostat 180 degrees to keep motor from overheating. Temps. at 210 or over are bad for the heads,headgaskets. K-100 D is a good additive to keep pump lubricated. There is a list of codes on 6.5 websites or forums to figure out what is wrong. My 95 os OBD1, your's should be OBD11. plowking
  5. tbusciglio

tbusciglio Junior Member
    from Oregon

x2 on the PMD. IIRC there was TSB that addressed this issue and moved it from the IP to just off of the intake. In some cases this is still not sufficient. A good wealth of info is the 6.5 forum at www.dieselplace.com
  6. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

We have been using Midwest Fuel Injection www.mwfi.com for our pumps and had great luck with them. We service a fleet that has 8 trucks with the 6.5 so we see a lot of them. They also have the relocation kit for the module you can call the one in IL and talk to Paul he is very sharp on this engine and pump and has been a lot of help to us.
  7. stacks04

stacks04 Senior Member
    from ct

Most of the good 6.5 guys have moved over from there to www.thetruckstop.us
  8. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

SS is right down the street from me (literally) and I have dealt with them in the past when I had my '94 6.5 diesel. I had the PMD with the heat sink on it and would highly recommend it. When you go WOT does it hesitate (almost like a misfire in a gas engine)? thats what mine did and I was also getting that same code. replaced the PM with the heat sinked one and it was great.
  9. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I will be turning over 180k any day now, and I have not changed my injector pump. I have changed the PMD 3 or 4 times though. Initially I moved it t oa cooler on the fender well, thinking it would get it away from the engine heat. I was wrong. It isn't the engine heat that kills them, they make their own heat and it needs to be removed. Factory design allows for the flowing fuel inside the IP to remove the heat, but when you shut the engine off there is a period of heat soak. So what it needs is to have airflow to cool it. I moved mine out to the back of the bumper, with the back of the finned cooler sticking partway into the airstream of the bumper nostril. Been there for years with no problem.
    If I had 5 injector pumps through my truck I think I'd start looking elsewhere for the problem. One pump, I can see. Never should have to do it again. If somebody is rebuilding them and putting them back in, they are doing it wrong. Or just as likely there's nothing wrong with the pump and they are not addressing the correct issue.
    Bear in mind that this new fuel they are providing us with is crap. Ultra low sulfur diesel is not lubricating your pump, so you should be adding something, anything to replace that lost lubricity. Power Service white bottle is good, I usually use the white in the winter and grey bottle in summer. Some guys swear by 2 cycle oil or straight 30 weight motor oil. I've tried them all, never seen much difference, but I also havent had to change my IP either.
  10. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I'm not sure why I have had the problems..... So far they have all been replaced by A Gmc dealer.... But it is no longe runder warrenty so this last time I bought a rebuild from Diesel Preformance....... they claim not to have problems..... We will see....
  11. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

If you do have another problem, then you need to investigate the diagnostic procedure. thetruckstop.us 6.5 forum has a sticky where you can fill out a questionnaire about the trucks behavior to narrow down the issues. There's so many guys there with 6.5 experience that have seen it all and can help you out.
  12. central #2

central #2 Junior Member

6.5 diesel

Thanks for all the info. All the pumps were replaced by Chevy dealer under warranty. When I did what they said needed to be done when they changed the pump, it lasted about a year. When I did not do what tey said it lasted 2 years. Thanks again.
  13. stacks04

stacks04 Senior Member
    from ct

Fuel quality is one of the biggest concerns. Freekin people used to run the worst possible crap through them. Hard to nail em on it though because 9-10 times they would of course refill the tank with some nice clean diesel and always say, "it happened just after I filled it up".

Also alot of them were fleet vehicles for companies so they dont get taken care of like if it was a personal vehicle.