1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

98 chevy 3500 hd

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MWS LAWN, Oct 28, 2003.

1. MWS LAWN

MWS LAWN Junior Member

Need some advice. I have done a search on this truck and have not came up with much. I am looking at a 1998 chevy 3500 h.d. 2 wheel drive dump flat stake bed. White chromed wheel decent tires. The only thing is that the truck has the 6.5 diesel with auto trans? It has a western unimount already on it. The truck only has 32,000 miles on it. I'm pretty sure it has been plowing since new. I have already decided on a 8.5 mvp plow for my dodge and it can be enter changed with the dump truck. The sales rep said with 2,000-3,000 lbs. and chains on the back it would push snow as good as a 4x4? I know that the city we live close to pushes snow with these trucks all the time, so I am not concerned about the pushing part. The dealer ship wants 19,900.00 for it. I know that the dump bed is worth 5000.00. I'm so close to purchasing these truck, just want so advice. Thanks

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

6.5's are pretty good motors but not powerhouses. I think they had all the bugs worked out by 98. Some noted problems but the bottom end is pretty solid. The trany will be a 4l80e. Basicly a electroninc OD version if a 400. its a good trans. check out http://www.thedieselpage.com/forum1.htm for good info on the 6.5

Cant coment on the pricing and such......used market is pretty soft now but that low of miles makes and not seeing the truck makes it hard to tell.