1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

98 Chevy 3500 diesel plowing suggestions

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by baldoni, Jul 31, 2011.

1. baldoni

baldoni Junior Member
    from SE. PA

Hey. I'm new to this forum & I have only owned Ford trucks before. I bought a barely used 98 Chevy 3500 reg cab 4x4 SRW 6.5L diesel automatic pickup with only around 40k miles. 9200 GVWR. It runs, shifts, and stops fine and was maintained. It didn't come with a manual.
    I'm going to plow commercial lots with it. I was looking at the Meyers 8' straight blade Lot Pro which weighs ~800lbs. Do you think truck would need Timbrens or any replaced or upgraded suspension, transmission, engine parts? What parts of that type of truck have you had problems with when plowing? I saw some posts about PMD issues on the 6.5, I'll relocate that if its not already moved.
  2. Schnabel Plowin

Schnabel Plowin Senior Member

Like you said, the PMD needs to be relocated. The tranny should be a 4l80e for that truck. Seems like its only weak point is the reverse band. Make sure you come to a complete stop when shifting forward to reverse and vice-versa. Truck may need timbrens and some ballast, but that should do it. While plowing, those chevy's are known to eat up ball joints and tie-end rods.

Good luck!