1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

98 Chevy 2500--What do you think?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sweetpete, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Hey Guys:

First of all, I'm typically over in the Ford discussion because I'm a pretty loyal Ford guy. However, I'll hand it to you guys, Chevy builds a pretty solid truck also.

Anyways, my brother (who I think is really a closet Ford guy) just bought a 98 Chevy 2500. Here are the details:
    @ 90k miles, auto, 4x4 (manual) 350 5.7 V8, some rust around the doors. That's all I really know about the truck.

Anyways, is there anything inparticular you experts would recommend him doing before the plow season starts. Like everyone, he's on a budget, but he may have a couple bucks to throw into for preventative maintenance.

He took a mechanic with him to look at it. Apparently, the front end is solid (even though it was used to plow with) and it doesn't seem to leak anything.

Thanks again for your input and if I can return the favor, please don't hesitate to ask.

2. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Most of the problems Ive had with mine
    -Front end parts, pitman arm, steering stabilizer cyl etc.
    -Cooling problems, Intake gaskets, water pump etc.
  3. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

the intake go. when they do they can warp. i had mine warp in the my truck. the brake lines rust above the gas tank. the other things are normal on any truck. just make sure the ball joints are good, upper and lower espically if it has a plow on it. you dont need to loose your frt end to a 30 dollar part
  4. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Well said. Thanks for the input guys. I'll pass it along. Feel free to add anything else.
  5. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

I have a couple of this vintage truck and they have all went through pitman arms. It's like they were bad when installed:)

One of my trucks has 210k the other has 130. The 210k lost it's motor about 70k ago and the 130 lost it's motor about 1 month ago.

In 98 Chevy wasn't sure how to build an HD truck. They got it figured out in 03 though.
  6. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Are both of yours 98 vortec 350s?
  7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Chevy sure made a heck of a half ton in 98 though. I'm sure a few others on here will agree.
  8. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

Yes they are the 350 Vortec. Almost forgot.. Fuel pumps on these things are turds. The spider injection system is known to wear out. Very hard to trouble shoot.

The 98 Chevy had a lean engine code show up one day.. started to get hard to start. Ran fine though then blew a rod. Go figure. Replaced the motor with a Jasper Reman with 100k warranty.

Strong truck now.
  9. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I bought my 98 K1500 new. The main problem I have had with it is the intake manifold gaskets. I'm on my third set in 104,800 miles. Third set of front brakes and one alternator. The other thing to look for is the distributors. The bodies are made of plastic and the screw holes for the cap screws usually crack out the side. I have to actually zip tie the cap to the distributor on my 98 K3500 7.4L(which uses the same distributor as the 5.7) because the screw holes are shot and the screws will not tighten down. The holes on my 5.7L will still tighten down but are cracked. The distributor gears on some of these trucks can go bad causing some problems. The front end on my K1500 is getting kind of loose so I'm sure something needs replaced there. All in all, its been a good truck.