1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'98 Chevy 2500 Problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by purpleranger519, Oct 30, 2008.

1. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

I have a 98 Chevy 2500 4x4 w/a 5.7 it's been a great plow truck and thats all it really does is plow, it sits all summer. Well, we have been going through all the trucks getting them ready and we came to this truck today. I had one of the guys drain the oil to change it. When he did I heard the OH Sh** he brought the pan of oil to me and it was like chocolate milk. Not good. I'm curious if maybe condensation got in there or if indeed it is a bad intake manifold gasket. I told him to go ahead and put a new filter on and put new oil in it and dump some seafoam in as well. I'm going to drive it around a little in the morning and change the oil again and see what it looks like. I'm hoping it's just condensation, but my luck it won't be what do you guys think?

2. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

did you check the coolant? has anybody had to add any? did you check the oil level before you drained it to see if it was overfull?

3. purpleranger519

from Kansas

Nobody has added any coolant and he didn't check the oil level before he drained it.

4. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

well then just keep an eye on everything and hope for the best. keep us updated.

5. fakemam

fakemam Junior Member

how many miles on it and have you done the intake gasket on it before. if not i would do them now rather then wait till the snow is flying. They now make a new gasket that is not suppose to give you anymore problems its made by feel-pro. i haven't use the new gasket but i have had to do the intakes on my 98 twice. it seemed they only lasted about 40000 miles.

6. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I've had to have the intake done on my 98 K1500 with the 5.7L three times. The last time, I had the shop use the new revised gaskets from GM that has the metal inserts around the bolt holes. At the time Fel-Pro didn't have the new style. I guess they have them now, I don't know. I would definatly get it fixed now and I would guess that it probably is your intake gaskets as this is a notorious problem. My gaskets were only lasting about 25,000 miles before starting to leak internally.

Wayne

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  7. purpleranger519

from Kansas

Well, I had on of the guys take the truck to go pick up some supplys. He put about 80 miles on the truck and when he got back we looked everything over. Coolant level was unchanged and oil looked how oil was supposed to look. On the oil cap you could see lots of condensation before he left(the truck had not been started in 10months). I had him change the oil again since we ran the seafoam through it. We are going to drive it for a week and see what happens. I really think it just had a ton of condensation.