1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

98 Chev fuel problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CAT 245ME, Oct 2, 2009.

1. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 98 Silverado 2500 4x4 with a 350 engine. Last weekend I had replaced the gas tank with a new one and after the tank was in, I took the truck for a drive and the truck worked good but when I got about 15 kilometers from home the truck started to act like it was running out of gas but the gauge read quarter tank.I pulled the truck over, shut the engine off and I poured in about 15 liters of gas, restarted the engine, truck ran fine for about 15 kilometers and then it started acting like it was running out of gas, I pulled the truck over shut the engine off for about a minute, then restarted the engine and again truck ran fine for about 15 km's and then it all begins again. The fuel pump seems to run fine and was just put in a year ago (Delphi) and has about 20,000 km's on it. I replaced the fuel filter but that didn't help.

Any suggestions?

2. azandy

azandy Member

I would check the lines. I believe there are four total. One might have a pin hole or something not tight. The fuel pressure might be low. You could check it at the throttle body. Did you replace any lines with rubber? If so you do need to use high pressure lines.

3. CAT 245ME

Didn't replace any lines, just a tank swap. The problems all began after the swap. There is no fuel leaking.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Definitely start with a fuel pressure gauge. Try to find one with a long enough hose so you can drive the truck and watch the gauge. The test port is on the larger line feeding the pressure regulator. Drivers side, rear of engine, between the valve covers.

5. CAT 245ME

Half to give it a try tomorrow when it is light out.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Should have about 60 psi at key on. Running, should be about 52 psi.

7. CAT 245ME

2COR517 I called every parts store in the phone book, one parts warehouse and parts for trucks looking for a fuel pressure tester and every place said they do not carry them. They all sell testers for everything else but not for fuel. I would think a fuel pressure tester would be a common item to keep in stock.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

9. CAT 245ME

10. Racer593

Racer593 Member

Look at my post from a few days ago in this same section under "5.7 vortec no power
    '. Lots of good ideas and a lot of things I have also already tried. May save You time and money.

Good Luck.

Chris

11. CAT 245ME

Update:

I still couldn't get a hold of a fuel pressure gauge, but I went and pulled the fuel pump and sending unit gave it a good cleaning then put it back in & problem solved, trucks running great.