1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

98 6.5 diesel

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by windmill, Sep 22, 2003.

1. windmill

windmill Senior Member

Here I go again asking about another truck but I haven't found enough by searching so I'm just going to ask.
    I just found a '98 Chev 6.5 turbo diesel 4X4 LB ext cab, the 4X4, ext cab and LB I need, the diesel I like.
    I will be using it for my v-box sander and as a back up plow (mounts and wiring in place) in the winter and placing a 300 gal tank for chemical spraying for spring/summer/fall use. Since these will be easily removed it will also serve as the family vehicle for summer use.
    What I want to know is, is the 6.5 a reliable engine for this use?? Is 3/4 t adequate?
    I seem to be looking at so many different vehicles that I am starting to loose perspective (that must be my age). I hope someone can help. I KNOW I'll get a word or two from Chris who has been a great source so far.

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I have a '97 6.5 with the regular cab and it does just fine with all the weight i put in the back.Just get some timbrens or add a leaf if you think that it will be on the verge of bottoming out.I instaled the timbrens and the handel the loads well but when empty return to regular postion and no rough ride which is probably what you want since it will be both work and play truck.

3. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Have the truck checked out. Take the VIN # to a dealer, other than where you buy it, and check the history of it. How many miles? If under 120,000 it still has a warranty on the pump.
    Spend 20 bucks and get a oil analisis done.
    All this aside I have a 98 as well and it has not given any trouble. Mine is a work truck but cleans up nice. I don't know how much the sander and sprayer weigh but it should be fine.

4. windmill

windmill Senior Member

Thanks JoeyD for the suggestions. This truck has 124,000 kms (75,000 miles) on it. 1 owner, I haven't had the oil checked but will probably do so unless the owner can show me his maintenance records. This is a nice clean truck with almost new rubber.
    I think the GVW is 8600# on these trucks? I don't know what the dry weight is. that of course will decide on the payload I can carry.
    Thanks for the input cat320 as I said above I guess I need to know my payload weight. The DOT can get pretty stupid around here at times.
    Oh, he was asking 24,000 for it a few weeks ago and had that posted on his truck, then he took that off of the truck and it has just sat there. When I call he said he'd take 18,000.

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

That truck will do OK.Like cat said,Timbrens and a rear leaf upgrade will solve most of the load capacity problems.

The injector pump and driver modules are weak,but they should be covered by GM.I'm sure it's longer than 120 K in Canada.

Only other problem we see with these trucks are the front hubs\wheel bearing assemblies.They tend to get noisy,and are very expensive to replace.Hub is over $500.00 a side,my cost !