1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

98 1500 chugging running rough

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by amcolandscaping, Oct 17, 2008.

1. amcolandscaping

amcolandscaping Member

i have a 98 1500 and if i keep her at a steady speed lets say i keep it at 40 i feel it chugging, and if i watch the tach it will be at 1000 rpms and go up 3 clicks then back to 1000 then up 2 or 3 lines then back to 1000. If i accelerate i dont feel it, it seems to run fine as i am increasing speeds. I replaced the pcv valve and now i am thinking of replacing the egr valve. any other ideas. I do have high mileage on this truck 172k but other than this and a small leak in radiator she runs good!

HELP!!! trying to get her ready to plow

Matt

2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Have you done a tuneup lately? The 7mm wires suck....

3. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

dont throw parts at it. pull off spark plug wires on at a time, see if the engine stalls or not or starts to run rough. do you have a cel light. if not the engine is prob not misfiring. i would check fuel pressure and make sure your not loosing it under load. the pump might not be putting out enough which is causing your type of issue. dont throw parts. diag it properly.

4. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like it maybe tcc problem.

5. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Those trucks need 55 psi to run, the second it drops below they shut down. As for throwing parts at it, I agree to an extent. If he has not done a tuneup lately it wouldnt hurt to throw a cap and rotor on it...... I had the same problem on my 97. Ended up having a hairline crack in the brand new cap. The way they are designed, they end up with defects and weak spots in the plastic and can arc through it randomly....

6. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

My 97 had the same problem and it ended up being a cracked distributor cap, too. Check that first.