1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'97 Toyota 4Runner a bad rig for a plow?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by ttyR2, Jan 1, 2004.

1. ttyR2

ttyR2 Junior Member

2. badranman

badranman Senior Member

I plowed with an '89 4runner , 4 cyl, with a 6.5 fisher for 4 years and never hurt the frame. I did break the front gears though. No weight in back, locker in the rear and steep driveway. Had to have it in 4wd to make it up. When I turned onto the dry road...Kapow!!!:cry:

I think that was a fluke because of the locker and the beating it took fourwheeling in the summer. I would say put in on and go plow. Don't beat the snot out of it though. Had 4 Toyotas and they're pretty tough.

3. Murf67

Murf67 Member

I have a 6.5 EZ mount on my 94 4runner...No problems...it used to have a Snoway on it before I bought it.....

4. Landscape80

Landscape80 Senior Member

Seems like they would be a good rig seeing what the other guys wrote, but if something would break, you'd have to special order it from your Toyota dealer and have it worked on there, whereas with a Ford, or a Chevy.....or yes even a Dodge, you can get parts very quickly. I'd say go ahead and plow with it, but don't use it too hard.

Chris

5. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 6'8" Snoway on my 96 4Runner......works great....but I my very careful with it......also I only do residential.....

Derek

6. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

Parts should be very readily available for that truck at any auto parts store. 10 years ago it would have been a different story, but now foreign parts are pactically as common as domestic.

Or at least that has been my experience.

jp

7. Murf67

Murf67 Member

here is a pic of my 94 4runner with a Meyer's EZmount that I just installed:payup

4runner1.jpg

8. PRAM

PRAM Member
    from toronto

How does it work? Any issues?

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I would not do it.
    The front axle can not take it.
    Just for fun..

I bet you can wiggle the passenger side axle stub right where it leaves the case.
    This stub axle does not hold up well to the rigors of plowing.

The front axle is the yodas weekest link.
    I know you yoda guys don't want to hear it.
    I have a 98 4 runner with the 3,slow. with 169,000mi

It's a good little suv that will get you to the back country because of it's off road powers it is a poor platform for a plow rig.

But if you are still going to do it get the lightest plow that fits your needs