1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'97 Silverado - Bogging down past half trottle

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by inkedmn, Oct 6, 2004.

1. inkedmn

inkedmn Junior Member

I have a 1997 chevy 1500 siverado with a 5.7 vortec that has been having a problem for about 6 months now. The truck starts, idles, and revs normally and when accellarating slowly everything works just fine, but once you get past half throttle it falls on its face and acts like it has a clogged fuel filter or bad fuel pump. It actually goes slower than below half throttle. The bogging gets consistently worse the more throttle you give it. I have replaced everything that I could think of, as well as everything many chevy guys have suggested. here is a detailed list of everything replaced in the last 6 months. (Distributor cap, rotor, plugs(twice), plug wires(twice), fuel filter(twice), fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, both O2 sensors, fuel injectors cleaned).I have also checked the fuel lines for kinks, crimps, and leaks and found none. I have also unbolted the exhaust and run the truck to check the Cat for clogs, but it ran the same. The most confusing part of the whole thing is there is no check engine light on, so i have no way to check it on a computer. My friend looked at the spark plugs and noticed a little brown on them which he said might be caused by it running lean. Any ideas you could give me of what to change or check would be greatly appreciated.

If I can offer any other information that might give you guys more insight into what my problem might be, let me know.

Thanks in advance!

2. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like the cat is clogged to me....Most good muffler shops will test for free...........geo

3. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Bad injectors? - but that would trip the check engine light. I'm with geo, Its probably a clogged cat or muffler.

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

going out on a limb here, but check the egr valve for vacuum and movement at the diaphragm. Sounds crazy but had one stick on my truck where it wouldnt idle but would run great with my foot mashed to the floor.

5. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

EGR or fuel restriction. Check to see if carbon canister has been flooded with fuel. This will keep gas tank from breathing properly...

I just had the exact same problem after replacing gas tank and fuel lines on the 89 2 weeks ago. turned out to be twist in braided fuel line running from fuel filter up to engine...Chuck

6. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

Bogging past half throttle

Check the ignition timing.

Change the fuel filter.

Change the plugs, plug wires, disributor and rotor button.

Do a system analisis to see if one or more of the half dozen or so sensors is bad.

Put some injector cleaner in the fuel tank.

Check for vacum leaks.

Check the valve clearance.

It's more than likely a clogged fuel system, bad sensor, or faulty ignition compontent/ignition timing.

7. arosewag

arosewag Junior Member

solution?

I have the same problem in my '98 2500 silverado. Have you found a solution?

8. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

Bogging down

It could be the watered down fuel we're paying close to $2.00 a gallon for as well.

Put some octane boost in the tank and see if it helps.

9. Dig-it Landscap

Dig-it Landscap Member

my friends dads truck had the same problem he took it to the dealer and got a new computer chip and hasn't had a problem again.

10. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

Bogging down

Did he know the chip was bad?

I read somewhere that those chips can store error codes in them, I'm not sure if a stored error code will imulate the problem as far as performance goes, but I've heard that disconnecting the battery will reset the chip to factory settings and clear the error codes.

Does anyone know if a stored code will produce the problem on the performance end.

It seems that it would, since changing the settings in the chip can improve performance.

11. arosewag

arosewag Junior Member

fixed?

Have you been able to fix it? I'm dying to know. I'm having the same problem and it's really bugging me. I can't accelerate unless i'm half throttle, not too fun when trying to merge on the highway. I'd like to try to fix it myself.

12. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

I had the same thing rigth before plowing season started... changed fuel filter, IAC, EGR, plugs wires, cap rotor, Now its off like a prom dress.......... thing runs better then when i first got it......... The big one that made a difference was EGR.......

13. arosewag

arosewag Junior Member

Thanks GG, I'll do the same. What is IAC?

14. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

Idle Air Control motor.. not expensive at all

15. NJBuickRacer

NJBuickRacer Member

There is no removable chip on a '97 PCM. The computer can be reflashed(reprogrammed) with updated software if you have the equipment. Generally, a reflash will not rectify a situation that arose so late in the truck's life. I would drive the truck with a fuel pressure gauge attached in a position viewable from the driver's seat, if the pressure is not dropping off while you experience the problem then look elsewhere. I have had similar symptoms arise on these trucks, many were bad catalytic converters(tested ok, partially blocked internally), but I have also had several bad coils and a few with poor grounds at the engine-trans bolts and near the t-stat housing.

16. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I just recently went through the issue of it ideling fine. Light acceleration was fine but, near half pedal and above there were issues like you described. I filpped out the MAP sensor - about 5 minutes. Everything ran like new again. power like I had back when the truck was new in '97.

17. 572bowtie

572bowtie Member

5.7 tbi

i have a 95 k1500 5.7 tbi and i was wondering if there was a 02 sensor in my cat b/c if there is not i would like to take that off and run true duals out my back end. Also can i take out my cat without anything going wrong with my engine and i would hope for better performance.

18. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not sure if you have a Co2 sensor back in your exhaust. On a '97 I have 4 Co2 sensors - ugh. So, if you do you would need to re-add them or the compter will go nuts. Unless some smart person knows how to render the sensor as working properly to the computer. Otherwise dropping the cat's should have hurt your engine. It will increase your flow, maybe a tad louder.

19. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

I have a 94 350 and i believe theres 2 o2'.. one on the cat and one on the exhaust manifolds, i could be wrong but just take a look..

20. arosewag

arosewag Junior Member

fixed!

About a month and a half ago I replaced spark plugs, wires, rotors, caps, and throttle position sensor. None of which seemed to help. About two weeks later I changed the fuel filter, now everything is fine. Well, fine for 240,000 miles of engine wear. She doesn't accelerate like she used to, but doing a lot better.