1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 PSD losing power

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Mike Nelson, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

My 97 PSD F250 is losing power on the highway. The driver must pull over and wait a little while before he can go again.
    Last year we nocked out the converter and thought that was the problem. No such luck. The truck has 95,000 miles on it.

Thanks for the help!
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Check the basic's first.Are the filters OK ? They are bad for sucking air into the fuel lines at the tank and quick disconnect connectors,causing low or loss of power intermittantly
  3. Mike Nelson

Even when we changed the filters in the spring we experienced loss of power.

Only put on about 2000 miles since filter change. Maybe I will try them again. Should I try a fuel additive?

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Do the fuel pickup tubes have socks on them like the gassers? If it were clogged could it cause this? Mike, does this happen when using either tank?
  5. Mike Nelson

I believe it does. Now we only use the one tank because the truck was ( I believe) losing power even worse on the other tank.

Never drove it myself,but the driver said he has to pull over on the side of the road and wait awhile. I will ask him if he shuts it off or not.

I wonder if they do have socks on the pick up lines? That would make sense to me! If so, are they hard to change?

This truck was my partners truck and he would fuel it at his house. Maybe he had something in his tank at home! Also he said the truck would run better when he bought the fuel at the pumps. That is why I was thinking some type of additive.

6. Randy Clarke

Randy Clarke Junior Member

The oldest PSD we have is 2000 so this may not apply. The engine oil is crittical as it is used to fire the injectors. If you are low on oil 4qts or more and using the wrong type of engine oil with long drain intervals this maybe the cause. Use an API CG-4/SH,CF--4,CH-4 , 10w-40 or 15w-40 in warmer weather. The oil takes a real beating due to foaming from the high pressure it is subjected to pressurizing the injectors

just a thought
  7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Too bad it's a pickup, if you had a hoist on the bed you'd be able to do the job without dropping the tanks. If it runs better on one take over the other, I'd suspect the sock, if they have one. I just wonder if there would be one due to the gelling issue of diesel.

Only way to get to them is to run the tanks low and drop them. The pickup comes out by releasing a lock ring.
  8. wyldman

wyldman Member

They do use a fine screen in the tank pickup,but it's not known to be a problem.

The engine oil breaking down could cause it too,but the symptoms would go away every time it's changed,and return when it's due for an oil change.

I'd get a piece of clear hose inline on the supply line from the switching valve.If you see bubbles,you've found your problem.They are bad for sucking air.
  9. Mike Nelson

Thanks guys I am going to try some of these things and I will let you know how I made out.

Thanks Again
  10. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Could it be that he is using illegal offroad fuel with the red dye? This is ussually not as refined as the regular fuel from the pumps. This may be the problem. If it is a problem using the other tank could it be the fuel sender or pump Im not sure how the diesel system works. Ask around.
  11. wyldman

wyldman Member

Off road diesel is exactly the same as regular diesel or #2,just has the dye added.
  12. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Mike, dont rule out algae in your tanks either. That truck sits a lot,its not likrly,but you never know.If you have algae it will defintely restrict fuel flow thru the screens.You can get algae treatment to eliminate if you have it.
  13. Mike Nelson

Well finally brought it to the dealer and he swore up and down it was the oil filter. So went for a complete service on everything.

Even new balljoints,tires,allignment and whatever else added up to $2,700.

Ran it the other day and same thing happend again. Call dealer he says to bring it by and they will take a look at it again!

Meantime I just hired a full time mechanic who happen to have his own computor to check it. He tells me it is the camshaft sensor. He will read more about it tonight and let me know tomorrow what he finds out.

Needless to say I don't think Monday is going to be a great day a my Ford dealership. LOL :angry:

Stay Tuned
  14. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Mike, if it's the CPS and the dealer mechanic didn't catch it, you better find a new dealer! This is about the most common item on that engine to fail, many at dieselstop.com carry a spare in the glove box!
  15. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

If your mechanic needs to "read up" on the CMP then he most likely does not know much about Cat or IH diesels. It does not sound like the typical CMP symptoms. But they have been known to do some funny things. It will show up as a code if it is the CMP. I am suspicious of the fuel that was run from this guys home tank. Look at the fuel filter, you will see sludge if it is algae. It is also true about them sucking air into the suction side of the fuel delivery. And the fuel return to the tank will also be full of air if it is sucking air through the quick disconnect fittings. (kind of a self perpetuating problem) One last thought, the fuel regulator screen might be clogged, this will cause the symptoms you describe.
    You can do a search at www.thedieselstop.com for fuel regulator screen to see how to clean it. And look up Hutchinagusta or Hutch's mod to learn how to fix the sucking air problems. Hope this helps.
  16. wyldman

wyldman Member

Should have thrown a P0344 code for the CMP.I doubt it's the cause of low power though.They usually cause a no start,or a stalling condition,not low power.