1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 powerstroke tranny

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mxr576, Jan 12, 2009.

1. mxr576

mxr576 Junior Member
    from Boston

After about 5 or 6 hours of plowing the tranny starts pissin out fluid. Once it cools off it stops. Any ideas on what it is? Front pump seal? Should i just run it this way till it leaks all the time? Has anyone tried additives and had any luck? Really dont want to pull the tranny in the middle of the winter. Much rather wait till the spring.

2. DSLL

DSLL Senior Member

Would it happen to be a E40D? Our one truck blew out the front seal twice, not sure what exactly is going on. Just pulled it out again yesterday (within one week), my brother is trying to figure out what is going on with it today. Yours might be leaking out the vent on the top. Our vent appears to be clogged and pressure builds and just blows the seal. Last outing the truck only lasted about 3 hours.

However, on another truck of ours with the e40d when it gets hot it will leak fluid also, but it stops once the truck cools down. Maybe from the vent? I'm not sure. First noticed this last season and have continued to plow with it since.

I am by no means an expert on this topic and if anyone can shed light on this thank you

3. mxr576

mxr576 Junior Member
    from Boston

It only happens when its hot on mine also. Im going to add a tranny temp guage so it can be watched. Its coming out of the cover in the front of the tranny that is held on by two bolts. the cover has a small slit on the bottom of it and sunday morning it just started pouring out.

4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i'm not a mechanic by any means, but we just had one of our e4od's replaced(for the 3rd time in 14 years). it had the same symptoms during heavy use from pulling..my mechanic said this is what happens when you trans get hot and when it's on it's last leg. he suggested a cooler on ours, but i haven't done it yet.

5. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

you are overheating the trans. if you keep doing it, you will be putting a trans in it very soon. you need a bigger trans cooler, and a trans temp gauge.
    trans temp should never get over 180º-190º

6. mxr576

mxr576 Junior Member
    from Boston

Who make a good guage and where is the best place to get it?

7. Kunker

Kunker Member

I had the same problem with another tranny (700R4) and like Jay said, it turns out it was overheating like mad (blocked cooler) and dying. Good luck!