1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 Keeps getting dots on paint after waxing

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by kawasaki guy, Jun 26, 2015.

1. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy Senior Member

Truck is grey 97 F250 XLT. Did a coat of Turtle Wax, and it keeps doing this where water would sit. Can get them off with damp rag.

Almost feels like it penetrates the coat of wax, because there is a TINY chip like things where the water was on.

Am going to do a coat of Carnuba today or tomorrow and am hoping that will help?

Lets hope that the tarps I put on hood and roof keep this off/.
    :help:

IMG_1007.jpg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Mineral deposits from the water.

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Not enough potassium chloride in the wax

4. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

yup, water spots from minerals in the water.
    when you have hard water you have to either blow dry it, or whipe the water off to dry it.

5. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

Before you wax it use a shami. Then use a better wax. Like meguires cleaner wax. Does wonders.

6. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

You could try using a clay bar to remove the dots.

7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Hard water. I have the same issue. I dry my vehicles with a large, soft beach towel.

8. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

What you appear to have there is classic hard water spotting. Unless you remove the spotting entirely, you'll wax right over it and be right back where you started from.

So how do you remove it? Vinegar will usually dissolve it and then you can rinse off the residue. Do not try this process in direct sunlight BTW. Do it in the shade. You can try to polish it off with various automotive polishes, but you run the risk of doing even more damage to your paint.

Next, since you have a wax and mineral free surface, you can apply a good coat of high quality (not Turtle Wax) wax or synthetic sealant. I detail cars fairly regularly and co-moderate a detailing web site. That said, my current favorite waxes are Collonite 845 or 476S. My favorite sealants are Menzerna Power Lock and Blackfire Wet Diamond.

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Salt spray from the ocean.

10. kawasaki guy

Thanks for the advice Too Stroked! So I should Remove the Turtle Wax, (How do you do that) and then use a nicer wax? Which one do you think would be best?

I can get them off with a wet rag and a little rubbing usually, but that is not really getting them off? I would need to basically wash the hood/roof in vinegar and then re wax?

I am no expert in this at all, so sorry about all of the questions!

11. Too Stroked

The easiest way to remove just about any wax is a good wash with Dawn Dish Soap. Just don't ever use it on a vehicle for any other reason.

I'd skip the rubbing to get the spots off since all you will be doing is marring your paint where you rub. Try the vinegar. Trust me, it'll work just fine - if you do it in the shade, let it soak / work for a bit then rinse really, really well.

As for the re-waxing, I'd suggest the Collonite 845. It's great stuff, lasts decently and as long as you apply / remove it in the shade, it's pretty easy to work with. If you want really easy to work with, get the Menzerna Power Lock. It'll also last longer.

12. kawasaki guy

Will wash off wax, get off spots with vinegar, and then re wax with the Collinite 845 or Power Lock.

Sounds easy enough. Thanks for the help!

But how much of the wax or sealant will I need? I also like to get inside the door frames if that matters...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  13. CornerStoneProp

CornerStoneProp Senior Member

A lot of people use way too much wax. Just a slight haze will do it. Less to wipe off when you are done. I wax my truck and wife's car and still have a ton left in a single bottle of Mcguires NXT tech wax. For door jams I like the spray quick wax stuff. It is easier to apply but does not last as long. I think with the door jam being unexposed to uv light most of the time it would still leave a small layer of protection from rust.

14. Too Stroked

As has already been said, many folks use way too much wax / sealant and it not only wastes product, but in some cases (like with Collonite 845) it makes for a real pain to remove. All you need is a light haze on the surface. I never apply more than a dime sized droplet to a foam wax applicator and that should easily do about a 4' x 4' area.

As for doing door jambs and such, I always clean and wax them as part of a full detail and I do think it helps prevent corrosion to a certain extent.

How far will a bottle go? I believe the 845 only comes in one size bottle and it should last you at least 10 vehicles - if not more.

15. CornerStoneProp

CornerStoneProp Senior Member

You may also want to look into a clay bar will make a world of difference.

16. Too Stroked

Good point, but be careful with clay. Read up on how to use it properly. If you use it incorrectly, I've seen some real messes created that folks came to me to fix. Good for business though.

17. kawasaki guy

About to order the Power Lock (And some applicator pads and fancy looking towels), but was wondering if there is such a thing as "The Best" car soap. Have been using whatever K-Mart, hardware store, etc has with good results, but was not sure if there is something better I should be buying. Last purchase was the purple "Meguiar's G10464 Deep Crystal Car Wash - 64 oz.", and it works fine, but want to make sure it will not damage the Power Lock I am about to buy.

18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Stop waxing it.

19. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Don't take this the wrong way, its a daily driver work truck,right?

Going on 16-17 years old, right?

Yes it's last year of OBS but still?

I understand pride and all but I couldn't worry about something like that.

Sorry bud, that's just me.

20. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

There with ya. Gotta go, at bar, foods ccoming