1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 K3500 tune-up time..

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by old skool, Oct 29, 2010.

1. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

:mechanic:Hard to believe its that time of year already. My 97 K3500 has the 5.7 with a little over 107,000 miles. I want to do a basic tune up before plowing this winter. I plan to run this truck a long time so good quality is important...unfortunately so is price.

I'm wondering what recommendations for spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor anyone has?

In the past I've used Echlin caps and rotors, with Beldon wires and AC plugs.

With the way so many companies are cheapening things and having stuff made overseas,anyone have any suggestions - or - good/bad experiences with any particular product? What would you use for the tune up?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  2. grassmaster06

grassmaster06 Senior Member

Tell me about it ,I just replaced my 4x4 hub and a week later my cheap auto zone hub is trashed and needs to be replaced . Its not that big of a job but come on one week ,cheap overseas metal I guess
  3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I have found in all the years I turned a wrench, OEM is about as good as it gets when it comes to replacing stock parts. An old saying goes....bye cheap, bye twice!
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Run a genuine GM cap & rotor and either Delco or NAPA's premium wires and A/C plugs. Be sure to re-set the gap to .045, do not follow the under hood label specs on recommended gap. If the vent screens in the base of the distributor haven't been knocked out yet do that as well as it allows the caps to live longer.

Cleaning the MAF and running a little Seafoam through it should be on your routine tuneup list as well.
  5. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Mike I noticed you didnt recommend a muffler bearing brand? :whistling::angel:

That Seafoam is good stuff. Suck it through your brake booster line for half a bottle and pour rest in tank. Stinks like hell but works.