1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 Jeep Wrangler, 4 cylinder?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by darood01, Aug 17, 2009.

1. darood01

darood01 Member
    from GR, MI

Thinking about plowing this season. I have a 97 jeep wrangler with a 4 cylinder manual, would this be powerful enough to use if i put a sno way plow on?
    Would be using it for 20-30 narrow residential drive-ways.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

the 4 cyl is the only motor that most plow manufacturers list (6 cyl is heaver). I see 4 cyl jeeps plowing all the time.
    Although I've only used 6cyl jeeps. I plow 100 driveways with a manual tranny and have for 23 years. I had 1 automatic jeep that my helper used (I hated plowing with the automatic).

3. darood01

darood01 Member
    from GR, MI

What upgrades would you recommend doing to the jeep?

4. theplowmeister

from MA

add weight to the rear, if an automatic trany get a trany cooler. depending on the plow, air shocks for the front. good snow tires ie Blizzak!!
    (NOT M + S tires NOT all season NOT mud ) get the tire with the most ice traction. your tires will be on ice (you know after the plow pushes the snow, your tires are on ice)

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I have a number of customers using the 4 cyl wrangler and snoway 22 series blades with great success

6. darood01

darood01 Member
    from GR, MI

What plows do you recommend for a jeep wrangler if there isn't a sno way dealer near you, or does someone recommend something else?

7. theplowmeister

from MA

Ive plowed for 23 years with 4 jeep wranglers, my Friend has also used 4 jeep wranglers. We both used Fisher 7 /12 RD plows on ALL of our jeeps (now called 7 1/2 HD same plow, new name). add air shocks and add weight to the rear and Blizzak tires.

8. darood01

darood01 Member
    from GR, MI

Anything other then fisher, closes dealer is about 40 miles away.

9. theplowmeister

from MA

What is close to you?

10. theplowmeister

from MA

Go to the top of this page and click on any and all of the plow icons. See what they offer for the Jeep. if one is close to you ask about that plow here. go to the "Industry Equipment Forum" for that plow maker and see what problems people are having with that plow.
    There is no shortcut for research.

11. darood01

darood01 Member
    from GR, MI

Thanks for the information. I have read a lot of these posts and it seems like everybody has
    sno way or fisher. I was just asking people for there professional opinion, since I didn't want to get a heavy plow.

12. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

4 cyl wranglers have lighter duty springs from the factory. However the motor is lighter so its a wash. The 2.5L 4 bangers are good little motors and usually have 3.73 or 4.10 gears in those jeeps whereas the 6 cyl use 3.07 or 3.55 or even 3.23 I believe.

So in my opinion the 4 banger is a better choice for plowing, you only have so much traction in a light jeep anyhow, the 4 cyl will have enough to spin the tires free so 6 cyl is overkill.

I would put a set of rubicon coils in the front, you can pick up a set used cheap, and very easy to put in. Then take them out when plow season is over. If your not mechanically inclined go down to your local meineke or whatever and pay them an hour or 2 labor to toss them in.

Also timbrens are a good idea, used alone would be sufficient... no matter what you do, you will need ballast... I use to have a spare tire I filled with water instead of air bolted to the spare tire carrier.... That would work just fine.

13. theplowmeister

from MA

Filling a spare tire is too much weight to hang on the spare tire holder which is supported by the trunk lid. make up something to fit into a receiver hitch. I dont like timbrins because they stiffen up the ride.

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

\

Until it rips the spare tire carrier off the back of the jeep. Go with sand bags in the rear or mount something to the receiver hitch.

15. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

16. theplowmeister

from MA

I made a "C" channel bumper that is filled with lead and plugs into my receiver hitch. about #500.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You also have a well re-enforced bumper hitch and suspension upgrades capable of handling it. Not a class one hitch with a two inch receiver tube.

18. plow612

plow612 Junior Member

I find the best ballast to be a few 50 lb bags of salt. If you have to truck an extra 200lbs around with you, at least make it useful!

19. GNILOP

GNILOP Junior Member
    from Ohio

New to me! Jeep & plow

Just picked up a 99 wrangler at auction thats being gone over, and also bought a 6' 1/2 power angle older plow that came off of a ford ranger 4x4. I need to know what is needed to put that plow on the jeep frame? Any ideas /? G. Poling- ohio

20. tsidders

tsidders Junior Member

GNI
    Mind if I ask what you paid for that 99 at auction?
    Thanks
    T