1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 gmc coolant leak

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cclandscape 28, Jan 5, 2011.

1. cclandscape 28

cclandscape 28 Member
    from CT

i have a 97 gmc sirrea 1500 with a 5.7 its leaking from the rear of the engine on the passenger side not sure if its the head or intake mainifold or maybe a frezze plug? can any one help?

2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

More than likely the intake gasket... Common issue with those engines.

3. cclandscape 28

cclandscape 28 Member
    from CT

Would this happen with the truck off? when we filled the radiator in the truck It then began to piss antifreeze

4. cclandscape 28

cclandscape 28 Member
    from CT

Is there any rear hoses or crossover hoses to the coolant system ?

5. tac48

tac48 Member

make sure the heater hose quick connect fitting is not leaking and the coolant is running along the intake to the back of the engine, but sounds like it could easly be an intake gasket.

6. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Heater hose disconnect is definitely a good posssibility as well , as someone else already stated, especially if it runs right out while filling the radiator. They have a tendency to leak, or rot through at the manifold. I'd throw a pressure tester on the system.

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

2 comon problems on them.

quick conector for heater core hose.

and the intake gaskets.

and dont fill it to much without keeping track of the amount your putting in the rad. we had a van come in the shop 1 time. thay said thay stoped at 5gal of coolent and it still wasnt full. found bad gaskets leaking inside only to the lifter valley. when we pulled the intake there was 3" min over the lifter valley of coolent/oil sludge .

and its mostly gaskets at least were i live.

also if you do this job it requires a full scanner that can let you reset the timming of the dist when pulled. there is no timming light on these. reads crank to dist location to set 0* threw computer.

and also you do NOT have to pull the throttle body or upper intake off.

and i think its 11inch lbs for the 8 intake bolts to head. or you will trash the new gaskets.

8. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I've done quite a few 10-12 and never had to use a scanner, just mark the distributor very well. I usually use a screwdriver and smack it with a hammer and mark the rotor

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

there is the 1 time the mark goes by by when cleanin up the intake. but if your good you can do it with out.

also on the 96-2000 vortecs check the wear pattern on the dist gear. thay are known to chew up the gear. if it looks bad or close to bad. get a new dist.

10. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Bingo! Very tough to see until you remove the air cleaner and jump into the engine compartment. More than likely the quick disconnect has severed flush to the intake manifold.
    Are you running green anti-freeze?