1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 gmc 305 vortec massive coolant leak

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sechracer, Dec 7, 2007.

1. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Ok here goes, my 97 gmc has a hughe coolant leak. It litterally runs out og the top of the motor when the truck is running. I checked the upper radiator hose, and it seems to be fine. When I refill the fluid, you can hear air escaping the system. When the truck was hot, I shut it down and proceeded to look for the leak. It seems like it is comming from a line that threads right into the manifold, above the valve cover, under the upper radiator hose, on the drivers side. Truck runs great, just has that bad leak. Anyone know what the line is? It is mtal comming off the motor, then turns to rubber, but it looks like it is a pressure type line (does not clip apart.). I havent chased the line yet, but it seems to be leaking from the fitting at the intake. I am no slouch with cars, but I cant find anything in my repair manual for this line. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance, Tom

2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

nevermind, it ended up being the intake gasket. Tried tightening it, but it still leaks, am going to have to replace it........ Hope it doesnt snow before sunday...

3. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

If you're replacing the intake gasket, I highly recommend replacing the metal coolant fitting on the intake manifold. What you thought was leaking. These are notorious for leaking and breaking. Be careful when taking the old one out, they break very easy.

4. Replace it NOW! if you dump the coolant IN instead of ON the engine you will need a while new engine!