1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 ford f250 7.3 auto overdrive light flashes

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by marylandbigb, Oct 21, 2011.

1. marylandbigb

marylandbigb Member

what is usually the concern when the overdrive light on the end of the shifter is flashing? when it is flashing overdrive never works and fuel mileage sucks. attempted to scan but
    apparently u must have to use a pin out box and do flash codes any help? ideas? truck
    has 108k on it original trans and has plowed all its life. thanks

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Flashing light means something is wrong with tranny. It bumps the pressure up to try and protect the tranny. Your best bet would be to take it to a tranny shop and have them pull the codes if you can't. 97 should be OBD II but most repair shops don't pay the extra money to get the tranny programs for their scanners.

Also check the tranny fluid, should be bright red and not smell burnt.

Good Luck

3. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

1997 is OBD I on the Ford's over 8500 GVW.

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

That makes it a bit easier for him.

Use this link to pull codes.

http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/

5. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

not sure if this year truck had them but there was a sensor that went into the rear dif. that would cause this on early 90's models

6. damian

damian Senior Member

most likely converter/internal component slip code,usually converter clutch slip. you have to scan it to be sure,your truck has obd2 connector in cab get it to a good shop.usually speed sensor code will show a speedo problem. when i get a converter slip code and the diag procedure points to the converter,i replace the pump as well. the E4OD has internal leakage and converter valving issues that are hard to nail down.good luck.

7. marylandbigb

marylandbigb Member

thanks for info i will probably end up at ford dealer or trans shop it has a obd2 connector but my "top of the line 5000 dollar scanner will not pull any trans codes.. i was thinking
    converter issue i changed the fluid and put on a real deep pan last year less than 10 k ago
    fluid is bright red.

8. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

your 1997 F250 with 7.3 diesel has an OBD2 connector? can you post a picture of that?

9. marylandbigb

marylandbigb Member

if i had a way to do a pic i would. it is definetly an obd2 connector inside the cab located
    a litlle over halfway under the dash near the passenger side. this truck was the last year for
    the old body style f250 hd. it should have been a 1998 and it is definetely over 8500 lb
    gvw

10. damian

damian Senior Member

all powerstrokes have an obd2 connector,1994 to 1997 they were on the passenger side below the dash,98 and up it is in the usual place on the drivers side below the dash.