1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 ford f-250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by duramax-king, Apr 5, 2010.

1. duramax-king

duramax-king Senior Member

hey guys, i'm currently looking at a 97 ford f-250 7.3 powerstroke, with a 8' western plow, it's got 300kms but runs mint... but the problem is the front axle shaft is snapped i was think just going to the wreckers and putting in a new front axle, but i'm wondering if the axle shaft is snapped would there be any damage to the transfercase/tranny? Oh and also the transfercase shifter is ripped off.So i'm wondering, i can get the truck for pretty cheap, but would it be worth it?

2. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

The axleshaft is a fairly easy fix & it should not have hurt the trans case or trans. I would put all new seals & front shaft ujoints in both sides while you have it tore down. These shifters were bad about freezing up & if you pull hard enough they will break off. The shifter is also a fairly easy fix.

3. duramax-king

so nothing to be worried about? oh yeah also the guy wants 3000 for it but i got him down to 2200 good deal?

4. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

that truck has the Dana 50 TTB (Twin Traction Beam) front axle. It is an independent front suspension (IFS) setup. I plowed with one for 15 years with no problems other than routine U joints/ball joints you would do on any axle, but a lot of people have issues with it. the best remedy is to find a Dana 60 solid front axle from a 86-97 F350. its a direct swap and will give you a much stronger front end.

the only other weakness on the truck is the transmission. the manual will not give you any problems, and neither will the C6 automatic, but the e4od automatic can be a trouble area. by 1995, Ford made many improvements on that transmission and its as strong as you can find it stock, but at a minimum, i would recommend a fluid/filter change once a year and a good shift kit installation. also a temp gauge is a good idea as heat is the #1 killer of the e4od.

a broken 4wd shifter is very common. the shifter ceases to the pivot if its not used regurally. find a used one and install a grease fitting on it. grease it routinely and shift it through its postions on a regular basis.

as long as the truck isn't a rust bucket, it sounds like a deal to me. most common areas for rust are the oil pan, exhaust manifolds, radiator support, and rear spring hangers. check these areas carefully.

5. duramax-king

no the truck is a 250hd and has a solid front axle, that's why i was wondering if it would be a problem as i've never seen an axle shaft snap in one of these.

6. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

that truck does not have a solid front axle unless someone swapped it in. from the factory it has a dana 50 TTB IFS.