1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 F350 sell or rebuild ?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by earnies2, Feb 1, 2008.

1. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

I have a 97 F350 DRW 4x4 with a 9'utility body it has 85,000 miles See pix.........My problem is that she is starting to rust out the floors are going on the utility the front crossmember on the utility needs replacing thier are a few broken welds in the utility bed and underneath the rocker pannels have rust the bottom of the fenders and the doors whare the mirrors mount are starting to rust.........I was thinking about a new truck I was thinking about another F350 or maby a dodge 3500 or the other day I saw a STERLING 4500 (MADE BY DODGE) but i was also concidering a new body fenders and doors and rockers (my floors are good) add a new paint job I should be around 5-6 Grand and drive it for another 5 years what do you think ..............:gunsfiring::eek:

2. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

no matter what truck you buy to replace it you will always want your 97 powerstroke back.

REBUILD IT!!! that is one of the best trucks ever built imo the only downfall is the e4od but honestly i have found them to be just as good as anyother auto trans out their, mine has 160,000 on it never been touched...:nod:

3. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

I second the rebuild- she's not even broken in yet at 85K. It'll probably cost you 15-20% of what a new truck would run. New trucks come with their own problems plus a big payment, taxes, etc. Go thru it bow to stern and you'll make your money back tenfold.:drinkup:

4. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

Rebuild...

I'm leaning toward rebuilding but the thought of a new truck.....:redbounce.......I'm just Leary of another payment last year we bought a new car and the year before we bought a new boat and a RV...so i really don't want a another payment.......payup......Ma by i'll price what the rebuild is going to cost ..New fenders,doors,radiator support,rocker panel's,utility body,paint,and a spray in liner..........I'll do the math.....

5. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

Getting prices

well I priced out new doors ,bulkhead,and bumper for my utility body the napiheid dealer wants $1700 plus freight thats cash and carry....I can buy a new body for $4300 cash and carry I think the new body will make more sence,,,......
    I also got a Quote for a new STERLING BULLET 4500 chassie that was $47,000 Thair out of their mind and that's no body....(Its a DODGE with sterling badges on it) Dont tell the dealer he told me it was made by sterling....(sombody lied to him)
    I also priced new doors,fenders,and radiatator support.....the door listings are confusing thay list high or low mount mirrors but thay dont list the dulie orlong leg mirror mounts? and the radiatator supports only lisd diesel w/o ac mine has ac I would prefer aftermarket body parts becaus of price has any one run into this problem.....:gunsfiring::eek:

6. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

The Mass boys sell and go new. That thing is 10 years old. Treat yourself to something brandy new and keep it for 10 years. Your productivity will increase.....guaranteed.....if not, Dinner at Anthonys Pier 4, on me

7. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

Dinner at Anthonys Pier 4 I'm ready lets go............:redbounce

8. MrCarlson

MrCarlson Junior Member
    from MM

My vote is to rebuild. You will save a ton of money on the truck and not have to redo all of your mods. By your signature there is a lot done to your truck... don't forget that by buying new you will loose all of that. My favorite part of the 97 F250/F350 is thier low resale value considering how functional the truck still is. That works great for the buyer, but for you it means the difference between what you sell it for and what you pay for a new one will be even more drastic.

Remember, a penny saved is a penny earned (even more if you calculate taxes and interest) and you are going to have to have a pretty serious increase in productivity to make up the $50,000 price difference.

Matt
    "Knowledge is HorsePower"
    97 F350 PS 4x4 dually flatbed
    97 F250 PS 4x4, tommy lift, Boss 9'2" V
    73 Bronco
    Lots o' mustangs

9. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

10. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

I vote rebuild it if you have the time. I was faced with this same situation 3 yrs ago and chose to buy a new one.......and in 3 more yrs it'll be all mine and not worth the money I paid for it. I had a solid old '86 F-150 reg cab with 1-ton axles and springs, the truck was nice but had electrical problems. Well long story short is I got tired of chasing down wiring problems so I sold it, and to this day wish I had it back.

11. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

no dinner.....

than he doesnt get his dinner at anthonys[/QUOTE]

Well i'm getting prices for parts and new trucks $47,000 for a sterling bullett (dodge) At The Napheid dealer $1700 for doors,bulkhead,bumper and tailgate latch+ freightcash and carry ....way too expensive I priced a new body $4300 cash and carry that sounds better...I am having trouble finding aftermarket radiatator support for a deisel with a/c thay all list w/o a/c and thay dont list my doors with the 3 leg mirror mountsOnly the high and low mounts at the dealer my doors are !000 dollars each I wonder if the doors listed have holes for the mirrors or do you have to drill them out yourself? any advice would be great... I f i buy 3/4 0f a truck in parts payup do I still get Dinner???????:waving:

12. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

Id rebuild aswell:) then Id follow it up with a Tremclad paint job:cool:tymusic

13. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

I was thinking more like urathane 2 stage not rustolium for paint.......

14. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

Well here is the update I bought a burnt chevy dually with a 2 year old napaheid body in perfect condition never used in winter it was an irrigation company...I pulled the body ordered all new toolboxes 4 of them 8 draw role away,4 draw intermediate,7 draw side cab and a 40"super single intermediate cab...all are ball bearing draws. I ended up having to cut the face of 2 compartments to get the boxes to fit now i have to do the repair,,,i got the urethane primer,2 gals red urethane pant and a gallon of clear. New running boards,led markers,and tail lights 1, QT silver for the visor....i ordered new simulators....i plan on ordering 2 large bedliner kits from rattlegaurd with a sprayer gun...hade to cut 2 more holes for strobs in rear...its getting there,,I cant pull my truck appart just yet....here are some pix...any susjestions or ideas let me know thanks.... http://rides.webshots.com/album/562927869nHZFCL?vhost=rides ussmileyflag

15. nepmgmt

nepmgmt Member

to bad you didn't wait lol i am getting a 97 f350 with a utility body but its on a single wheel so it wouldn't fit. i am selling it and putting a reg bed on it if you know of anyone that wonts one let me know.

16. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

To bad its a single rear wheel....why are you taking off the utility body? you know you might have to do some frame work to put on a bed? i have seen some installs Ware the installer either cutoff some of the frame and added taller pieces to incorporate the rear bumper? .....ussmileyflag

17. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

I might be interested in the srw body if I can find a truck to put it on

18. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

If its a straight up work truck i would just rebuild it. Old trucks can do the same amount of work without a payment so that means more money in your pocket. And if there maintained there just as reliable. New trucks break down too everybody seems to forget that.

19. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

Update

Got all the tool boxes installed all the panels i had to cutout repaired Thursday i primed and Friday i painted the utility body with 4 coats of urethane flame red paint and 3 coats of clear ....the paint came out excellent I hope the body comes out as nice.... I also painted my visor with silver metalic basecoat and cleared it also......I replaced my windshield (rock chip and leaking)and both door windows(scrached from sand) also replaced all the window rubbers on both doors. and painted my ladder racks.....now i can start to take my old body off and prep and paint the cab,,,,ussmileyflag

20. Keith_480231

Keith_480231 Senior Member

Keep us informed. I am debating rebuilding my F-Super Duty 3yd myself. Thinking it might be a rewarding, as well as smart money project, with my kid. What they get for "new" trucks it just crazy!!! Will be interested in how it all turns out for you.