1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 f350 psd no start help!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dmelicious, Feb 13, 2005.

1. dmelicious

dmelicious Junior Member

7.3 psd auto. 70k miles. didnt plug her in last night. tried to start her this morning, turned, and wouldnt start. waited, and tried again, all i got was a little smoke. glow plugs? hit it with a tiny, tiny shot of diesel starting fluid in mouth of ait filter cover and she started right away.
  2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I've always heard that you shouldn't use starting fluid for these engines. Anyway, you got it going. If you have never changed the glow plugs before I would definitely do so now. Also, change the glow plug relay. That is usually the culprit, but the gp's should be changed every two-three years, or at least checked. Might want to change the valve cover gaskets while you are at it. Get the glow plugs from AutoZone, they have Motorrcraft plugs for around $10 a piece. Much better price than Ford dealer.
  3. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

I heard from other truckers that a shot of WD-40 will work the same as ether. Never tried it myself. Said the WD is better cause it will provide a little lubrication.? Again, that is not from me, but word of mouth.