1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 F350 Psd E4od Overheating

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by earnies2, Feb 20, 2003.

1. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

2. bgrover

bgrover Member

I hate to say it but you might need to have someone tear into it.

On Christmas day I broke mine (95 F250 460cid) and had the same OD lite blink along with a trail of fluid. When the technician checked it out he found that I had broken the fluid pump and almost burnt out the front clutch pack. I ended up having the whole tranny rebuilt.:(
  3. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

trany did not shift into drive when hot after it cooled it's ok? no leaks shifts fine no noises. problems only when plowing? i can smell the trany ! and when the light blinks it shifts 1,2,than goes into a neutral at 30 mph once it cools drive returns?:waving:
  4. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

Sounds like you are due for a rebuild, heat is a killer on trans. At least change the fluid, it might help some, but you are going to need some overhaul done.

5. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

We have had to rebuild 3 A40d out of our Powerstrokes. Heres a way to improve them, first on rebuild have them install Sonnex valves, they are located in Vermont and are a MUST UPGRADE from OEM. Second get a shif kit and a Banks Transcommond and your on your way! We plow, sand and haul heavy equipment and have learned the hard way$$$$$$ take your O/D and get the upgrade kit that reverses it so on start up your O/D is OFF!!!!
  6. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

thanks for the info i'll look into all of the info do you run anny additional coolers?
  7. bgrover

bgrover Member

In addition to what landscaper3, when mine was rebuilt they upgraded the torque converter and planitary gear set. The stock gears are a 3 spur alumninum set. They put a 6 spur steel set in mine. This is a known weakness and is supposedly even on Ford's list of upgrades.
  8. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

thanks for the info i'll look into all of the info and do you run anny additional coolers?

9. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Anyone know where i can get a picture, blowup, or diagram of an e4od.
  10. Nailit1954

Nailit1954 Senior Member
    from ma.

Sorry too say also you probably do need a rebuild. Same thing happen to me last year with my 97 350 psd auto. Getting it beef up is a great idea! Next time this happens to me I'm looking into getting a new bulletproof tranny, cost more but it makes more sense.
  11. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

Can you tell me where I can find Sonnex valves? I did a search on line but I could not find anything. Is a Banks Transcommond a shift kit? Do you know where I can find one? Do you run any coolers on your truck?:waving:
  12. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

13. mjk039

mjk039 Junior Member
    from PA

picture of e4od trans

You should be able to go to the Ford Dealer or call and they can fax or you can pick it up.
  14. bobcatman

bobcatman Junior Member

I had my E4OD puking fluid on my 94' F-350 while stacking wet snow. I replaced the small stock trans cooler with an aprx 9"x20" cooler and changed the fluid. That worked for me. The other thing I will add to the truck in the spring is a B&M cast aluminum trans pan. The aluminum pan has cooling fins on outside, holds extra 3 quart capacity and has a drainplug:) The pan is also about 1/2" thick so adds rigidity to the box. They are available from JC Whitney and Summit Racing. I had one of these pans on a weak AOD in an F-150 and I think it made a difference because I was not able to kill it in 4 years of hard plowing