1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 f350 powerstoke plow package question??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowcrazy, Oct 25, 2011.

1. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Hello all, havent been on here in a while. Just wanted a few expert opinions (or just opinions in general). I bought a 97 f350 powerstroke single rear wheel drive 4x4 with flatbed. I had high hopes of puttin a v-plow on her but when I talked to my local dealer they told me that my truck wasnt rated for anything more than a 7.5ft plow. As I thought this was hideous he said that it was because the truck was a diesel and was limited on the amount of weight I could hang out on the front of the truck because of the weight of the 7.3 engine.

Now Ive pretty much listened to him and have an appt. to put a 7.5ft snowdogg ex on the front but thats really not why I bought this truck. I bought the heavier spung truck to get as much out of her as possible and this just aint what I had in mind.

So my question is, have any of you ran bigger plows on the older f-350s and if so did you have any problems???

They said that the only way they would install the plow is if it is within the manufacturers guidelines. I guess thats not that big of a deal to put it on myself, just thought that since free installation was offered I would do it.???

Thanks for everyones time!!!!!!! And here are a few pics of my new toy (that I hope can handle more than a 7.5ft plow LOL)

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I am putting a heavier than recommended plow on my 02 F350. I believe I will be over the front gvw :blush2: but what plow truck isn't over weight? Think if you add some type of suspension helper and plenty of ballast you will be fine. Also take the plow off when you are not plowing.
  3. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

I am very particular about my trucks and the plows are taken off immediately unless there is another snow coming that next day. So what plow are you thinkin of running.? Actually, you don't have to answer that, you may get a bashin from some if some think its to big.... LOL
  4. buttaluv

buttaluv Member

that is a sweet truck!
    I would think it would handle a bigger plow than that!
  5. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Thanks for the compliment! Yeah this truck was an original owner truck and only had 122,100 miles when I went to look at (Which everyone seems to think is nothing on these 7.3 diesels) it but it did have a few spots starting to bouble (rust would be showing soon) so I had the whole cab redone. fenders replaced all dings taken out new bumper and had it painted back to its original ford dark green with a lil bit of sparkle added. It sure turned out nice......... And yeah thats why Im on here asking. I would think it would handle a lot more than 7.5ftr but just wanted some opinions before I go do something that may tear up my new toy...... Thnx again!!
  6. kimber750

8' 6" fisher XV. Should be on by the end of the week. Luckily I know the owners of the dealer pretty well so he is given what I think is a good price and will help me put it on. I figure on running about #800 of ballast. There is no way I would put a little 7 1/2 on a truck this big.
  7. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

I was running a 9'2" boss on my 97 powerstroke f350. I will be putting a 8611lp blizzard on it this year. I run the same plow on my 97 f350 gas. Mabey the dealer is referring to the late model 97's, when they changed body styles and front ends. I don't think you would have a problem running any of the plows on the early 97's....Nice truck!!
  8. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

So you pretty much have the same truck that ive got now and you ran a 9'2" plow on it...... Did it seem to hurt the truck in any way.... I mean, since you have experience with the outfit that I basically want, would you recommend that setup or a touch smaller?????

Thanks a lot and I will now quit asking all of you so many questions. Feel like Im bein a nuisance. LOL
  9. kimber750

Nah, most on here love talking about plows and what they have them on. It's when you ask what to bid or how long will this take to plow. That's seems to be what most dislike the most.
  10. Ford Guy

Ford Guy Member

my 8.5' arctic plow is only 43 lbs heavier then a 7.5'
  11. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

That is what I was trying to ask the fella at my local dealer and what he said was that it wasnt so much the weight as how much more weight I would be lifting when stacking snow???? I kinda see what he's saying but last year I was running my other truck, a 2004 chev 2500 hd with the snowdogg ex85 and it seemed to be okay..... I think Im just gonna buy what plow I want and put it on myself. I figured if I were trying to do something really rediculous someone would have told me by now.... LOL
  12. rv4jesus

rv4jesus Member

overweight on diesel ford

I have an 08 250 PSD that has a front GAWR of 5600 lbs. I was concerned about damaging my nice new (to me) truck by putting a plow on it. I got an 8' boss superduty steel plow that isn't the lightest, I think it is around 800 lbs. Just judging by the way the springs barely respond when I lift the plow and the way it handles, it seems that everything is OK so far. I think I could have gone with a heavier V plow if I wanted to.

I hear that wheel bearings could be an issue so I am careful to take the plow of asap and keep plenty of ballast behind the rear axle and don't carry a lot of extra weight or people when I'm plowing.
  13. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

97 f350 7.3 std cab pu 8ft straight no problem.
    97 f350 7.3 chassie cab 8.5 western no problem.

both experienced ball joints and brakes but that is normal for plow trucks.
  14. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

I wouldn't worry about putting a bigger plow on it. You can put some timbrens up front. Like was already said, they are plow trucks and you can expect, from time to time, to do the front end, brakes, and every so often transmission, no matter what size or brand of truck. My 97 powerstroke handled the 9'2" boss real nice. The Boss and 8611LP are about the same weight, I think around 980 lbs. I do run timbrens on mine and about 600 lbs of sand bags for ballast. It seems the hardest thing to keep on these trucks, is decent bodies. If your doing commercial, might as well go big.
  15. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

Slap an 8' or 9' on her
  16. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

You might have to put an add a leaf in the front end.
  17. bsharp704

bsharp704 Member
    from Grant

I have a buddy with a 97 F350 7.3 Regular Cab long box running a 9-2 V and 14' Ebling on the back. I ran two years ago the same plow set up on a 06 F-250 Reg cab long box with the 6.0 in it. I now have a 08 Ram 3500 quad cab running the same plow set up with the cummins and a 04 F350 reg cab with the 6.0 in running a 8-2 V with soon the be wings installed and hopefully a 16' Backblade.

That truck will handle a 9-2 V no problem without having to change springs or add a leaf.
  18. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

I have 5 trucks just like that and run western 8'5 v-plows on all of them. No problems at all. Find another dealer who will give you what you want.
  19. Silverstreak

Silverstreak Senior Member

i have a 96 f450 with 8 foot diamond, truck squats a little but is fine since its a straight 2x4 front axle

the ttb IFS fronts on some of the 350s suck, but since yours is a 97 it should have a straight beam and will be ok,

ive had many f250s and 350s of those years and the front ends give out if you run large plows with ifs, id do what the other guy said and get an add a leaf or a 4 spring pack for the front, cause then ball joints n u joints n steering boxes go soon after it starts to sag nasty

still id go with a 8.5 footer or so, my 8.5' western pro is pretty light

fishers are heavy beasts bbut nice plows
  20. timberjack

timberjack Member

First off, great truck, snoway. I'd like to find a flatbed like that for mine, while my box is still mint. At least while i still use it for working.

I'm sure you won't be happy with a 7.5 plow. At full angle i'd be surprised if it clears a wide enough path for the wheels. Here's a pic of how my plow is at full "v" or angle. I wish it was a little more, as on curving roads, the rear wheels run into the banked snow. Been debating getting the Boss wings for it.

Go with a 9'er. Install it yourself if a dealer won't do it, due to liability. I did mine, and think that's the best way to get to know all the ins and outs of your new plow.

My truck is an F250, but i put in a Dana 60, and a new set of springs, so it's basically a Supercab F350 now. Truck handles the plow excellently, (going to be the 3rd winter coming up), and a fair bit of heavy plowing, all off highway single lane logging roads.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011