1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 F350 gas problems

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by speedster379, May 17, 2005.

1. speedster379

speedster379 Junior Member

when I fill up both my tank and use the front tank first when it gets down to about a 1/2 or less the rear tank will start shooting gas back out the nosel Intell I flip over to the rear tank then it stops but when I shut it off and let it sit for about in 1hr there is pressure still built up in the tank is there any recalls that I should know about. I just bought the truck about a month ago. thanks
  2. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

This is a common problem in the dual tank fords.
    You need a new FDM (fuel delivery module) that's what Ford calls it.

It's a combination fuel pump/sending unit.

There is a valve that opens up when the pump is running, so that the unused fuel that the pump sends to the engine is returned back to the same tank.

What is happening to you, is that one of these valves is stuck, and fuel is being returned to the wrong tank.

A new fuel pump (FDM) in the tank that is overfilling (rear) will solve this problem.

Or you can do what I did on my 96 when I had the same problem.
    First, run the rear tank down so it is close to empty, then switch to the front tank .
    The front tank will begin to fill the rear tank, but there will be plenty of room in that tank now, so it won't overfill like before.
  3. speedster379

thanks again

thank again mebes would you know how much a FDM would cost. Ive done what u said about running the rear tank down the switchin over to the front tank. thanks
  4. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

I think it was under $100.
    Just call Napa or champion (whatever you prefer) ask them for a price on a fuel pump.

You will also need a set of special tools to release the fuel lines on that Ford.
    Just ask for them at the auto store when you buy the pump.
    Cheap little plastic things but they work good.

The rear tank is a ***** to put back up after you drop it, you may want to wait until the fuel pump starts acting up before replacing the FDM (just drive it the way it is).

Just because the return valve is stuck open does not indicate fuel pump failure. They are in the same assembly (FDM) but they do not wear out at the same time.

If you do replace it (the FDM) you may want to stop at Ford and get the fuel pump tank ring (it is what locks the fuel pump into the top of the tank).
    It does not come with the fuel pump, and you will probably destroy it to get the fuel pump out of the tank.
    Good luck.
  5. speedster379

cool thanks I think I might wait and do that later I will have to live with that problem for awile hay thanks alot for your help.
  6. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

No problem, that's why we are all here (to help).
    Good luck..