1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

** 97 f350 air pump seized up **

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by silvetouch, Dec 9, 2010.

1. silvetouch

silvetouch Senior Member

I have a 1997 ford f350. It was making a loud screeching noise and i found the air pump pulley was not moving. I pulled the pulley off and also tried getting the air pump shaft to move and no deal. I talked to another guy that told me that i may be able to get a shorter belt and by pass the air pump pulley. He said that it is just for emissions and i may get a check engine light on, but shouldn't have any major effect on the truck.

I know for sure i can do this with the A.C and power steering pulleys, just not 100% on the air pump. Anyone have any experience with this or know if i can do it??

Thanks

2. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

what engine? i know i bypassed the airpump on my 5.0 mustang without any problems.

the air pump on my 96 350 with 5.8 was whinning and tough to spin. i pulled it apart and greased it and its been quiet ever since.

3. silvetouch

silvetouch Senior Member

I believe its a 5.8