1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 f350 7.3

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by nixray, Jan 28, 2014.

1. nixray

nixray Senior Member

My 97 F350 4x4 went out. I know I'll for sure need hubs but The marbles in a chipper and drive shaft hitting the floor board noise tells me I need more. (please note the drive shafts are in tact).
    My question is... Rebuild or replace. I've sourced a 250 parts truck. Are they interchangeable? I'm all ready doing brakes/u-joints tie rods ball joints pitman arm etc. with that said is it easier to swap out axles and front diff' or rebuild? Can a rebuild be accomplished with out dropping the axle?

I'm trying to R and R correctly and not cut corners. I'd like to not spend much more then $2500 and the complete project
    Is that a reasonable budget?

Thanks

2. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

f250 and 350 shafts are different we usually rebuild them ourself or bring them to someone and the put all new joints new cv joint and balance it for $250

3. Morrissey snow removal

and 250 and 350 front axles are different

4. nixray

nixray Senior Member

Thanks morrissey. Do you think my budget is reasonable for all the work mentioned. There's so much snow work In west Mi. Tow trucks and shops are telling me 2-3 weeks before they can diagnose

5. Morrissey snow removal

I think that's aliitle high are you going to do the work yourself

6. nixray

nixray Senior Member

Once I know the issue with 4x4 I'll determine if I can tackle that. But all the other components yes I'll be doing my self some time between plowing and salting and hauling snow off sites. White Gold right????

7. Morrissey snow removal

if you do it yourself you will be under 1000 easy in parts

8. Morrissey snow removal

I sell a lot of obs parts if theres something smaller you need I can ship it

9. nixray

nixray Senior Member

Do you have a complete front axle?
    Rear full doors? (I have the 4dr)
    8' bed?
    Heavy duty off road style bumpers??
    Back rack?
    I know none of the above are what I'd consider "smaller"
    But those parts are damn near impossible to find up here. And I'm willing to pay the coin for it to be right. I got the truck for a steal. And it's only got 212xxx.

10. Morrissey snow removal

I got complete front axle rear doors maybe a bed maybe a heavy bumper