1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 F350 7.3 fix or sell?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by nixray, Feb 15, 2014.

1. nixray

nixray Senior Member

97 f350 7.3 4 dr 8'
    268xxx on her.
    Just did $1,200 worth of brakes and front end
    Now I've got a trans leak near the. Front of the tranny (lines or gasket?) and a diesel leak near the trans.

I know with any truck you'll have some form of payment either for parts or to the bank. And trucks in General can eat away at your piggy bank 'specially diesels.

So where do I draw the line of enough is enough?

2. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

Before you pay for 1200.00 worth of brakes! just kidding, it's a fine line between keeping and sinking money into an older truck or make payments on a better one that will become an older truck by the time it's paid off.
    I prefer to drive new trucks so I have warranty and I look presentable for my work (building contractor).
    I work my truck hard but take care of it. I think it's a personal call. I like working on vehicles so I usually have an older jeep kicking around to wheel and upgrade etc. We have a saying, "wheel, wreck, repair, repeat" :)
    good luck
    dave

3. nixray

nixray Senior Member

My dad till always say, If its got wheels or boobs its goin to cost ya....

Anyone know the fluid cap'....Google is worthless...
    stock trans/pan etc.. in the past 2 days I've put 3-4 qts and cant tell on the stick. I've checked in both N and P and both cold/hot?

I must have a leak, but dont see any fluid on the ground...
    Why did ford produce this pile of scrap metal called the E4oD?

4. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

Keep adding fluid until it shows on the stick. My '95 overheated and started puking fluid last night pushing about 12" of wet heavy snow and it took 8.5 qts to get it back up to the fill line. Not sure what they hold but 3-4qts low is not enough to make it act any different than normal.

5. nixray

nixray Senior Member

I drove it that low, to my house 90% of the time...NO trouble lights, NO O/D light blink, when a dead stop 1st will engage at 3-5k then a shutter into 2nd slips out of 3rd no O/D.
    again I've only put 3-4 qts, in her.. I dont want to overfill her as I know thats suicide.

6. OldSchoolPSD

Your diesel leak is likely in the valley of the motor. Probably a fuel pump going bad or leaky fuel bowl.

Fill your trans to the proper level and see if your issues go away. E40D's like to puke from the inspection cover when they overheat. Being low on fluid will cause the symptoms you are talking about.

Only you can determine whether its worth keeping or not. At 268k miles you are already pretty far down the rabbit hole with this one, so its up to you when you want to cut your losses and get a new one.

7. nixray

nixray Senior Member

whats the best way to check fluid on the E4OD, cold vs warm P vs N

8. OldSchoolPSD

Warm in park. Put the trans in drive then reverse then back to park every time you add fluid before you check it again.

9. nixray

nixray Senior Member

ok, one last question, if I fill and get a read if I still have the same trouble will I cause havoc if I drive it to my trans shop about 15 min away no faster then 50mph?

10. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I had one that puked fluid, it was the last time I ever drove it! F350, 460, one ton utility body.

11. nixray

nixray Senior Member

Ok. But I don't think she puked, no signs of so. I'd imagine there'd be fluid all over the bloody place eh?

12. JimMac

JimMac Junior Member
    from MA

I had a 7.3 on a 96. When they overheat, the tranny expels fluid as a safety. If you start looking you will see the tyranny fluid when you back up after heavy use. You really need to look for the leaking, cause if you miss the tell tale red snow, you will cook your tranny..I use to let it cool down for 10 minutes, then I could add fluid. If I didn't let it cool down, tyranny would just fart out the new fluid. It sucks to have to stop and wait for it to cool off, but that's what I had to do...happened a lot.I finally got rid of the truck because of rot. Good luck buddy.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  13. rcnease

rcnease Member

Am I reading this correct, I have a 96 F250 with a 5.8L engine and a E4OD in it, I was pushing roughly 9" of very wet and heavy snow over this past week. It got hot and started leaking fluid. I shut it down and let it cool for an hour or so and filled it up, only took about 1 quart each time. It did this roughly 3 or 4 times. I ended up putting a transmission stop leak in it. I am assuming the pump seal is leaking. It sounds like you all are saying that this type of thing is common for this transmission and it isn't a major issue, but will continue to happen no matter what I do? Is that correct? I was thinking I had to drop and put a new seal in it and flush the system and put new fluid. I tried to baby it as much as possible to keep it from doing any major damage. Sounds like this is common with this transmission.

14. OldSchoolPSD

It is common for them to overheat and puke. A large transmission cooler will fix the problem.

However, it is also fairly common for the pump seal to fail. If the pump seal fails it will leak all the time, under load or not.

I was recommending the OP top off the fluid and see if that fixed the problem before getting any farther into it.

15. nixray

nixray Senior Member

After topping fluid off. Condtions seemed to get worse. I finally got the O/D light blink. Hardly no forward gears. Could hardly get it in first. 15 mph @3500 rpm tops.
    Because of my lack of knowledge when it comes to transmissions. It's at the shop. They are scanning it and pulling a cam sensor or better known as camp sensor and a trans slip.
    Hopefully it's not toast. But I will be putting in a larger cooler. And prolly a heavy duty build. I'd love to yank out that pos trans and do the 5 sp swap.

16. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

PM on these (and most auto trans) is to plow the heavy stuff in 4-low. Same for moving a heavy load or trailer slowly, like backing up a driveway. If you have manual hubs you can use it on dry pavement without binding too.