1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 F250 Low Rider - needs helpers

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by MrCarlson, Feb 8, 2008.

1. MrCarlson

MrCarlson Junior Member
    from MM

I just put a Boss 9'2" RT2 V plow on my 97 F250 HD PowerStroke ext cab long box truck. The truck also has a tommy lift on the back. I was looking at the front end and when I lift the plow it is just resting on the bump stops. That doesn't seem good.

The truck is a farm truck, and does everything from plowing, hauling wood, pulling trailers, hauling livestock. I am thinking I should put in air bags because many of its trips are highway runs to go pick something up and I don't want to make it ride any worse than I have to. My loads also vary a LOT so I like the flexibility of air bags with an onboard compressor. My total mileags is low (<5k) but its pretty much all working.

I have done some searching of peoples opinions on here (which is what steered me towards the air bags) but have a few questions that I haven't seen answered.

1) What is the best system. I see a firestone and airlift brand system. For the fronts, The Firestone is cheaper, but the airlift is only slightly more and comes with a compressor and gauge. Any opinions? Any other brands I am not aware of?

2) Has anyone installed thier own system on a similar truck (leaf fronts springs)? Any issues I should be aware of?

My thoughts are to put the front system in right away to level out the truck and then to add the rears later this spring when I get back into hauling mode.

thanks,
    Matt
    "Knowledge is HorsePower"
    97 F250 PS boss 9'2" V and tommy lift
    97 F350 PS flatbed dually
    73 Bronco
    lots 'o mustangs.

2. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

3. ronnie dobbs

ronnie dobbs Junior Member

I would do an extra leaf first. My nest choice would be air bags. I wouldn't bother with the Timbrens, mine flattened out completely on a 97 psd regular cab, the dealer had never seen that before. I put an extra 1,000 pound spring all the way around and the truck barely dropped with a Meyer C-8 blade.

4. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

What exactly is entailed when putting on a helper spring. Say just on the fronts. Do you have to realign the frontend or anything? How hard is it to do, and where do you go about getting a spring?

5. ronnie dobbs

ronnie dobbs Junior Member

I had a local shop do mine for a couple of hundred bucks, I can't really remember, it does require a front and alignment. Made a HUGE difference.