1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 F250 HD backup lights

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by frostypuck, Mar 23, 2008.

1. frostypuck

frostypuck Member

Hi guys,

Brought home my new '97 F250 HD the other day. So far, so good. Only problem I've found is that the backup lights don't come on when the truck is put in Reverse. The p.o. says he replaced the switch? sensor? on the tranny but that didn't solve the problem. Currently there's a toggle switch hooked up to flip on the b/u lights, but that won't fly in my state for the safety inspection.
    The fuse for the b/u lights is good. Any thoughts on where I should start looking?
    Chris in Boston
  2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You have power out of the switch? It may be bad and the old owner did not change it out. Some are in the park switch and a bear to change. See if the last owner ran a wire back to the lights to operate them. You could have a bad junction plug in the harness or wire damage. The harness should run down the drivers side frame rail inside. If it has a trailer plug check it too they go bad all the time.
  3. frostypuck

frostypuck Member

I found the problem. The fuse under the hood for the b/u lights was blown. Replaced the fuse, undid the previous owner's toggle switch and all is right.
    I assumed that the same fuse that did the turns and taillights was responsible for the backup lights, but nope, that fuse lives under the hood.
    Thanks for the help,
    Chris in Boston