1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 f250 hd air bags

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mpriester, Jul 23, 2014.

1. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

I'm thinking about running air bags in the front to help with the plow weight or would i be better served to just add a leaf? The plow weight is around 800 lbs. It's going in this fall for new front springs and shackles and i would like to stay away from the alignment problems a 3rd leaf will cause but if its the best route to take i'll add the leaf. This is strictly a work truck with 69k miles on it.
    Thank You

2. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

the dana 50 IFS front axle - i sure don't miss mine....

back when i had that axle under my old 86 F250 i ran add a leafs. when the plow was mounted and lifted off the ground it would squat the front end just enough to level out the alignment. however when the plow was off, it was another story. tires would wear very unevenly. i later modified the center bracket to "drop" a couple inches and that helped, but was still an alignment nightmare.

i had a 96 f250 and even before putting a plow on it i swapped the dana 50 out for a dana 60 solid axle. but if your options are limited to a add a leaf or air bags, i would give the airbags a shot as they can be adjusted for different front end weights/conditions.