1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 F250 cracked IFS near spring perch

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by eliteconst, Feb 24, 2004.

1. eliteconst

eliteconst Junior Member

I own a 97 ford f250 with a fisher 8' straight blade. The driver was returning at the end of the night when he hit a pot hold and cracked the axle near the spring perch on the pig side. I tried to turn it in to my nsurance under collision but have been denyed. I talked to a friend at a transmision shop who said it is a common problen and not related to snow plowing. The truck only has 42,000 mile on it has never been taken off road or abused. the truck has the higher gvwr and a snowplow prep pack. Has anyone else had this promlem?
    It was suggested that I swap the IFS for a soild axe off a F350 or go for a simple repair of welding the damaged axle. In the long run I know that the SAS is going to better that repairing the IFS but is it cost effective and what kind of money am I looking at for a swap?

2. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

I have heard of this problem b4 never seen it myself.
    I ran a 96 f250 for 3 years with no problems.
    A buddy of mine took his 97 f250 in to the shop to put a new V plow on it and the dealer welded some kind of reinforcing plate on his.
    This guy said he sees alot of them cracked even on trucks without plows installed.
    We both run superduty diesels now.
    No worries anymore.

3. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

If you do the work yourself, you are probably looking at around $1100-$1600 for all the parts. The Dana 60's are a pretty hot item nowadays. I think you could plan on around 8-10 hours of labor to have the axle swapped out if you don't do the work yourself. I'm not really sure on the time, but it is a large undertaking. If you do the swap, try to get a axle with good brakes. It may be possible that you can use the brakes off of your Dana 50 on the Dana 60. Now, about your broken axle. I have to think that the fact you had a 700 lbs plow hanging on the front of your truck did indeed help the axle break. I have heard of these breaking, but it has always been related to plowing. When your plow is hooked up, do the frame bump stops contact the top of the axle, or is the weight still riding on the springs? I would go for the Dana 60(solid), it is much better than the Dana 50. Less to go wrong.

4. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

If you know where the pot hole is, take a pic of it and send it in to the town where it happened along with a brief letter. In Chicago, they will review your case and, in most cases, send you a check for the repairs. The city is responsible for maintaining a safe driving surface.

5. Wilburn Parks

Wilburn Parks PlowSite.com Veteran

Ive had this happen to 2 of my trucks 1987 and 1994 both f-250's. All I did was jack up that side till it went back together then welded the housing back together. I believe I had to take spring off axel to do this but have not had any problems since. The housing did not rip all the way off just cracked across the bottom.so it went back together pretty good.If I remember right, I had to use heat to get one of them to go back together right. Also I put plate across bottom and welded it on for more support.