1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 f25 7.3 Glow Plug Help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by welj31, Feb 8, 2011.

1. welj31

welj31 Member

So here is the deal. I Picked up a 97 7.3 Turbo Power Stroke
    Reg Cab 4X4
    . Runs well but wont start unless its pluged in when temp is below 32f.
    I was told it COULD be the glow plugs. After reading a bit I have found it COULD be a few things. I should add at this point this is the first diesel I have owned or needed to work on.
    While reading up on it I found the glow plugs COULD be in one of two diff spots. I dont see them on the top of the motor so I am thinking they may be under the valve covers?
    First I need to know the most likely part to fail (glow plug, control Mod or ??).
    Second I did a search but did not turn up a link for replaceing them. My understanding is there are certain steps that MUST be followed when replacing them (oil, coolant, fuel). Does anyone have a link to a step by step post on the job?
    "Wait to start" light comes on and stays on for about 3-5 seconds.
    Truck has 258,000 miles and is well maintained.
    Thanks for any help.

2. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

Start with the glue plug controll er they burn up alot on older 7.3

3. welj31

welj31 Member

Where is it located and how do i test? Thanks

4. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

start by checking the glow plug relay, its on top of the engine, just to the passenger side of the center. You can jump it just like a starter solenoid to test it. Jump it for maybe 15 seconds, then try and start it. If it doesnt start then I would check the glow plugs. They are under the valve covers, and Im not positive how to check them, but you can ohm check them.

5. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

Yes check the glow plug relay first. Mine had a dead spot. I watch the volt gauge to drop and the come up when the light goes out and it will start. But a simple test light would verify the proper operation of the solenoid. Now the glow plugs are under the valve covers. If you have to go there make sure you have new wiring harnesses/gaskets (the wires are the gaskets) because they are bad by now when you disturb them.

6. mjones

mjones Junior Member
    from indy

powerstroke nation . com lots of great info for ford diesels check your relay and get motorcraft glow plugs i 've heard after i put autolites in my truck that they can swell over time and be very hard to get out :drinkup:

7. mjones

mjones Junior Member
    from indy

a new uvch wiring harness would be a good idea the plastic was getting brittle on mine when i changed my glowplugs a 175000

8. blmc5150

blmc5150 Member

I just installed a new Glow Plug Relay in my '03 7.3L. Check w/ a test light both posts. The one has power straight from the battery, the other should power up when the key is turned to the "on" position to pre-heat the plugs. If it doesn't light up, you probably have a bad relay. Also, you could check the 2 smaller posts by putting your test light across both small posts, if it lights up you at least have good signal going to the relay. Just my 2 cents.

9. welj31

welj31 Member

Thanks guys I will do some testing this weekend.

10. timberjack

timberjack Member

11. mjones

mjones Junior Member
    from indy

make darn certain you plug all of your wires in and double check them i left on loose and the truck ran like chit until i pulled the valve covers back off and found a loose wire going to an injector

12. juan91

juan91 Junior Member

all good info in here guys! any updates?

13. BBF-350

BBF-350 Junior Member
    from MA

Connect clamp of test light to positive batt term and get wiring diagram. Prob all glow plug pins of valve cover connector on each side. Should light test light if good, if not it is open and needs replacement.