1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 f150 no 4wd

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Gman1200hd, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Gman1200hd

Gman1200hd Member

hi guys my buddy has a 97 f150 scab 4.6l auto with the electric 4wd as a backup truck but when he pulled out the 4wd won't work there is power at the switch but no 4x4 indicator lights come on and won't lock in does anyone know witch relays control that or have any other suggestions.Thanks in advance

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ck the motor on the tcase. Common issue.

3. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Or a broken vacuum line.

4. dieselss

150s didn't have vacuum hubs

5. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

6. dieselss

Link didn't work.

7. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Thats funny. It worked for me.

[​IMG]

8. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

Here's another common part that fails

Screenshot_2014-12-14-18-40-58.jpg

9. dieselss

No, still didn't

Screenshot_2014-12-14-18-42-05.jpg

10. dieselss

Ok, vacuum parts to operate.

11. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

The most common failure is the vacuum line to the actuator. How do I know? It happened to me on my 99 Ford F150. Ford wants a fortune for the line though.

12. rjigto4oje

I've replaced quite a few of the switchs on the right fender well like the one i posted

13. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I've heard they get brittle and break. Luckily it has not happened to me yet.

14. rjigto4oje

Ive worked on all the big 3 they all have similar issues dodges have rusty lines and 4 wheel drive vacuum actuators gm front diff heater/actuator its a 97 anything is possible you'll fix 1 problem and then have another one good luck

15. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

That is the reason I'm retiring the 99 F150. It has turned into a rust bucket and just not worth putting money in it any more. Now I have to decide what to do with it and the Snoway 26 plow. I just may keep it as a backup or give it to my grandson.

16. rjigto4oje

Backup is a good choice i have a 96 and a 98 i plow with I do all my own work as a mechanic by trade i recently got the rust fixed did it myself looks fair but i always keep up on whatever it needs

17. nixray

nixray Senior Member

I recently acquired the same truck as the OP. For a great deal.
    When I select it for 4x4 it clicks three or four times, but never kicks in, If I restart the truck with the switch still in 4x4, it clicks twice and the engages. Same thing for selecting 2x4.
    I know I have to replace something, just havent dug into what yet.
    Hopefully this helps

18. Gman1200hd

Gman1200hd Member

After doing more research it is pointing to the gem being bad because we have power at the switch but no indicator lightsor sunlight clicking when the switch to turn to 4 wheel drive