1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 f150 electrical

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by bula54, Jan 17, 2008.

1. bula54

bula54 Junior Member
    from utah

Can anyone tell me where or how to find a hot wire that I can tap into, One that is hot only when the key is on? I have checked everything and can't fine one that I feel is a good spot to run the hot lead for the slick stick.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  2. tim096

tim096 Senior Member
    from wny

do you have a test light? I would run it off a fuse.

3. bula54

bula54 Junior Member
    from utah

I tried that and all of the fuses are hot except the ones that run the control mods & I don't know if that is a good place to put the lead

4. KATTRANSPORT

KATTRANSPORT Senior Member

No piggy backing off a fuse is the "can" way of doing things. Take a test light and poke around under the dash find a wire that is hot with the key on and soder it into that. Do it right the first time so you not trying to fix broken fuse leads or scotchlocks in the middle of a snowstorm.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Solder it into the dark blue/light green or the light blue/pink wire in the ignition harness heading to the ignition switch near the column. Both of these wires are ignition hot.

Make sure to use an in line fuse...

6. bula54

bula54 Junior Member
    from utah

Thanks, I'll give it a try

7. bula54

bula54 Junior Member
    from utah

got it taken care of. Now how do I close the post