1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 F-350 Diesel Brake Problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by PAGE2004, Apr 25, 2004.

1. PAGE2004

PAGE2004 Senior Member

Looking for suggestions :

My brake light went on recently, since I replaced pads and shoes about 2 months ago I didnt pay much attention, but today Im noticing the brake pedal VERY hard to press. My thinking is that the BOOSTER might be junk ???? Any help will be greatly appreciated !

2. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Most likely your vacuum pump is going out. It is located just under your A/C pump in front of the drivers side valve cover. You can get them at Auto Zone do not pay more then $100. 20 minute job. Do it NOW, you do not want it to go out while driving. Mine did and I blew through a toll booth gate. To test the old one it should make 15 in. of vacuum at idle. If you do it yourself you will need to remove the pulley and reinstall it. Before putting the pulley on the new pump you need to put the three mount bolts in first otherwise one of them will not go into the hole.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2004
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If you do have vacuum to the brake booster from the engine.
    To test the power brake booster, pump the brake pedal while it is not running. When you exhaust all the vacuum it gets hard. Hold the brake pedal down with your foot and start the truck. The pedal should move downward as the vacuum builds right after it starts.
    I don't know if no vacuum would trip the brake warning light. But I would check all the wires leading to the wheel speed sensors. It's easy to kill them mechanically if you hit them or they get crushed. There are other wires and switch's too through out the system.
    My older F-250 has the sensor in the rear punkin but it's just rear anti lock.

4. PAGE2004

PAGE2004 Senior Member

Thanx for the info ... I pulled the vac line that enters the booster and it has suction but not much and its pulsating.... the kid at auto zone put a tester on the line and it the needle was all over the place and didnt push past 10 , so I think I will order a new pump from them . They have 2 to choose from .. a brand new one for $125 or a rebuilt for around $75 .. been thinking of just getting the new one. Also ...Ive heard about the wheel sensors ..but have no idea where they are .

5. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

DO NOT GET ONE FROM AUTOZONE!!! go to a international dealer, they are around $90 and way more reliable then the aftermarket pumps, trust me! my insurance wouldnt have jumpped if I would have invested in a oem unit not something from kragen

6. PAGE2004

PAGE2004 Senior Member

Problem fixed ... thanks for the help guys ... I tell ya , trying to get any type of info from the people at part stores and FORD is like pulling teeth !