1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 F-250 Engine Question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by MahonLawnCare, Jan 24, 2010.

1. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

I have a 97 F-250....today when I went to start it because it had been sitting awhile, it ran really rough and started to sound like it was going to stall...i mean it sounded like chitty chitty bang bang....then it cut out...it would crank and crank and crank and i couldn't get it started again...so i popped off the air intake and sprayed the throttle body with starting fluid and held the gas to the floor and turned it over...took about three times but it finally started and then cleared itself (it still sounded shoddy at first)...and then bam...ran ok. I started it three more times over about a two hour period and it started up perfect...i have been noticing when it sits for a little while when it first starts it runs like crap then clears....any thoughts? (i replaced all the plugs and ignition coil last year) i also tested the ignition module and it passed last January....i know it could be ignition module but it acted like it wasn't getting fuel....but it didn't wanna start on either front or back tank so i ruled out fuel pump...>??

2. MahonLawnCare

from Ohio

wow thanks for the overwhelming response....anyways it seems ok now

3. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

well I just saw your thread. I deal all the time with the " I replaced my spark plugs,cap,rotor and wires" and have to change it all out. Why? Because people buy parts by price and not quality.Change your fuel filter and test the fuel pressure. If that is ok, then you stated it has been sitting for awhile, the fuel quality could be in question. Does your area use E10 fuel? Then you could be having phase separation problems and contamination problems with the ethanol breaking down old style fuel residue. If you treated your fuel with fuel line antifreeze (alcohol) and you did not have a full tank it can be hard to start because of the alcohol. If you can also let us know your drive train particulars I can be more specific.

4. MahonLawnCare

from Ohio

i don't use cheap junk parts to save money. i use all decent stuff on my trucks. i just changed the fuel filter last year and i know thats not it. it could be an oxygen sensor or the mass air flow sensor i'm thinking since i shot of starting fluid seemed to clear it. it's a 351w engine. auto. it seems to be fine now? it would just idle real rough when it got really cold, wet or there was a swift change in temperature. i def. noticed it more after it would sit for a while. there is no e10 where i fill up. there was a full tank and no i didn't treat it with alcohol. thanks for the advice. as of now i dunno what the deal was. it's ran fine all week.?