1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'97 f-250 anti-lock brake light

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by blee1ash, Mar 4, 2011.

1. blee1ash

blee1ash Senior Member

The brake light and abs light are on in 97 f-250. They have been on for a bout 2 wks and are finnaly starting to bother me. The brakes work fine, but I can tell the anti lock is not working, not that the anti-lock ever worked well in the first place. Does anyone know about truobleshooting theese older anti-lock systems.
    I don't really care if the anti-lock works or not I just want the lights to go off. I would just take the bulb out of the abs light but the red brake light is on also and I would like to have that one working in case I ever start loosing brake fluid.
  2. michiganmech

michiganmech Junior Member

theres some more info needed. is the truck in question 2 or 4 wheel abs? most of the time the rear abs sensor gets covered in debris so the magnet cant read. or gets mixed signals
  3. blee1ash

blee1ash Senior Member

It is rear wheel abs, not 4 wheel abs. I'm going to check out the sensor later today. Is there anyway you can get trouble codes from the older rwabs.
  4. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

that truck has only rear abs. on the inside of the driver side frame below the exhaust manifold is the abs unit. it is plumbed directly into the brake line. unplug the wire connection running to it, remove the unit, and just run a straight hard line. now your truck will have no abs whatsoever. the light will stay on, so pull the bulb. this is what i did on my 96 F350 years ago.

as for the brake light being on, as far as i know there are only 2 things that will cause this - when the emergency brake is on or when fluid in the master cylinder is low. if neither is the case, remove and clean the plug at the master cylinder. then check the switch on the ebrake pedal to make sure it is not stuck.
  5. blee1ash

blee1ash Senior Member

I removed the sensor, and it was fairly clean. I cleaned it and reinstalled it. The lights are still on. The fluid level is good and the e-brake is fully released, don't know about the e-brake switch though. Will do more investigating later. Thanks for the help.
  6. blee1ash

blee1ash Senior Member

Pulled the codes today. Got code 4 = rabs valve switch closed. Anyone have any ideas?
  7. PDQ Pete

PDQ Pete Senior Member

Take the bulb out.Thumbs Up