1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 f-250 4x4

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by MnM, Apr 4, 2007.

1. MnM

MnM Senior Member

how would a 1997 f-250 4x4 8ft bed ext cab do as a plow truck. Its a 5.8L auto with 107k on the body and the short block was done at 75k. It has never been plowed. If i got it I would do heavy duty leaf springs all around and maybe hang a 810 on the front. What is everyones opinion about this truck as a plower and what plow would yall recomend after I do the spring mods. Finally what do yall think this things worth

2. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

I have a 97 F250 HD with out the ext cab and it is a long truck to be plowing driveways with so add the extra couple of feet for the extra cab and it would be a boat. Not something you want to plow areas that are tight in. Check the spring rates on the door you may not have to change them just add timbrens.

3. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

I dono? but in any Truck? availability--condition-- & Price! are the Big factors! as whats It worth? thats a personal Issue!--bottom Line!-whats It worth to YOU?--I just bought my First Diesel pick Up! & after driving it for a few days on Dry road Tonight It passed the Snow Test! 30 odd miles in 4X4 high Range--Never slipped --I have had other 4X4s None Compair to my 96 Ford F-350 reg Cab 8 ft Bed I realize mines NOT New!-but Dollar for Dollar!--SPENT! I*M very Happy w/IT as a retiried Trucker--I can*t Imagine?? wanting or Needing More POWER? it Runs SUPER rides Smooth & Does every thng I want in a Pick Up! We live in a Rual Area! & SNOW Storms have Allways been a WORRY! well NOT any MORE! & seeing WE looked at Many! Chevys-GMCs-Dodges--& being Honest! I picked Our FORD because? I just Liked It better than the Others! & being HONEST Again I don*t really have Clue? as to WHY?--& it was NOT the Cheapest in Price!--but--the GMC we looked at had head Gasket Problems! got the from the Guy that Bought IT-less than 3,000 miles & the DODGE had Tranny Problems!--less than 1,000 miles Dono? on the Chevy?--Dono? where? it Went??--but Thank GOD! Our 7.3 FORD Runs Good!--& were Glad We bought IT! as WE like IT & thats All that Really Counts! in BUYING any Thing! YOU being HAPPY! GOOD LUCK!--OleTower--

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The 5.8's a Great engine. It should last long time. Just look at the truck real well. Roll under it on a creeper and make sure it does not have a bunch of rust outs. Look for leaks etc. Try getting a truck trader or go to the internet version. It can give you a good idea of what it's worth. Plow manufacturers will tell you what will work and what will not. Now's a good time to buy a used plow. Ask questions or search your questions on the search function on the top of the forum page. If it's not plow prepped it may need parts beefed up. Such as charging, trans cooling, springs, shocks correct load range tires.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Throw a solid Dana 60 axle uunder the front end and don't do residential. You'll be fine.

6. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

We have the same truck, reg cab though with a western on it....plows great, never any plowing related problems, just age type stuff, rotted break lines etc. We plow for the town, and a few driveways after, and it has been nothing but a good strong truck with standard factory suspension setup and the 5.8.

7. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Do what he said. Trust me.