1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 F-250 4.6L with 9' V-blade?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by polarplowing, Feb 3, 2006.

1. polarplowing

polarplowing Member

Found a great deal on a 97 Ford F-250 with a 4.6 L V-8 motor in it, and was wondering if it would handle a 8' or 9' V-blade? I know the motor is tiny, but with low range it should push the v-blade, I think. How do the Ford tranny's hold up?? My Chevy's are pretty good on tranny's but don't know about Ford. Anyone use a truck/blade set-up like this?? I want a Western Commercial grade V-blade with wings, and would like to have a 8' or 9' plow. But I don't know anything about Fords, have always driven Chevy. Any comments or suggestions would be awesome. Thanks

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

7.5 or 7.0 something you put to much wieght on the front end and its gonna crack
  3. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

97 F250 with a 4.6? I didn't know they put the 4.6 in the 97's. Sure it isn't a 5.4 or is it an F150? Just curious. Anyways, no way would I put a 9' blade on that truck. 8'6" would be the biggest I'd go, especially w/ that smaller motor.
  4. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

It would have to be the beefed up 150, 7700gvw I think an d labeled as a 250ld
  5. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

i plowed with the same truck but a 1998 when my truck broke down, it was my buddies i borrowed. it has a 7.5ft western light duty on it and was a good combo, i think you could go 8ft but no bigger then that. they dont like heavy plows.
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

How many lug nuts does the truck have? If it's 7 then it's a 250LD, Forget Out Running Dodge's version of the Chevy 1500HD. No way I would put a 8 ft v on it, let alone a 9 foot with wings. That's 12 foot of blade! If you want to use a commercial blade, buy a commercial truck, if you want a light duty truck, buy a light duty blade.
  7. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

If it was a 250 it would have 7 lugs and would have the 4400lb front I think. If so a bigger plow may work out fine.
  8. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I would never think of putting that large of a commercial blade on a light duty 250! All they are is a slightly beefed up half ton truck, If you want something that big I would seriously start looking at 1 ton's! My 8'6" V-plow is about all my 3/4 ton Dodge can handle, I would hate to see what a 9' would do to a light duty truck like that especially with the 4.6 L I think you would have issues with power as well!
  9. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

No bigger than 8' straight. If I remember right, that generation of F-250's cant handle that big of a blade.
  10. We run 9.2"s on our F250's. But, they are Powerstrokes and brand new. Not 10 years old. I'd say stay away from anything over 8'
  11. polarplowing

polarplowing Member

Yeah it is a light duty 250. Didn't realize Ford made a light duty 3/4 ton. I'll keep looking for a heavier truck. Thanks for your help.
  12. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Yea in that year the Fords were Regualr F-25, then Heavy Duty, Then Super Duty
  13. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

plow on truck

I have a 96 ford f250 5.4 L v8 with 7.5 ft western unimount no problems and my buddy just got rid of 97 f250 with 8.0 ft western no problems . but i would not put a 8.5 or 9.0 ft blade on that truck unless it was a dually or f350, but otherwise you will have a lot of problems, too much weight on the front end ,any plow kills the front end ,the bigger the plow the better but bigger problems you will have
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2006