1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 Expedition and other things

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by RJ lindblom, Mar 11, 2013.

1. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

I found a 97 Expedition for $500 last week. It has a fair amount of miles, it runs but has a misfire, which should be an easy fix. Even if it needs a newer engine I am still money ahead
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've been wanting a Jeep Wrangler for a while, they sell for more then I am wanting to spend. This will be my dog hauling, camper pulling, whatever other adventure I can think of vehicle.

I might keep my eyes open for a plow to hang off the front.

2. RJ lindblom

[​IMG]

The Dutch Shepherd likes riding in it.

A new coat of paint on my F930. When I get home I will get the snow blower in and put a coat or two on that.

[​IMG]

In the background on the POS trailer are the axles for my landscape trailer project. Once I get home there are several things I am needing to get done.

[​IMG]

In the summer I will put the mower deck on. For next winter I will work on an enclosure for the cab. I'd also like to find a sweeper for this. It isn't brand new, but it doesn't look clapped out either.

3. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

i love the expedition! i would not trade my '98 expy for anything. love it to death.

4. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

If it has the 5.4 v8 it will tow good the 4.6 is a little weak for towing. They are good trucks but you do not want to change an engine in one, you cannot pull it from under the hood because it sits back under the fire wall. most shops will diconnect the body and lift it off the frame. If it has COP's coil on plug they often fail and cause a misfire , scan it to see if its multiple misfires or just one cylinder, if its one cylinder you can swap a COP with the cylinder next to it and see if the misfire follows the COP , if so then its bad. BE VERY CAREFUL changing sparkplugs they can pull the threads out of the head google that and if you feel you need to change the plugs there are many tips out there the heads are aluminum. Good luck with it !!!

5. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

Ford dealers and independent shops will change an engine like this.

expy.jpg

6. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

Wow, good find, especially for the price!!

7. RJ lindblom

I had a 98 F150 that I liked better than my 05. It was running good until a deer totaled it out. The 98 had the 4.6 it did okay. The 5.4 will get er done.

I am thinking if it comes to changing plugs, I might take it to a mechanic, not sure I want try my luck. the COPs don't haunt me. The previous owners put well over a 100K on it. The rear COP gave them fits, they became aggravated enough they bought the wife a newer expedition.

8. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

That was worst design. Hard to reach there plus coolant leak over that cause short out.

Nice expedition how many miles on it?

9. RJ lindblom

230K. You're right about the design, it is a severy WTF moment., it took a while for me to like that body style of the 97 on F150 and the same for the Superduty. I do like the powerplant and drive train.

10. Milwaukee

I could pull that 2 coil packs in 5-10 mins on superduty. On Expedition it was PITA cause I had rear heater hoses around that area it was 20 mins try get socket on coil pack 7mm bolt then try pull coil pack out.

I been chasing miss it randomly which annoy out me.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  11. RJ lindblom

I fiddled around a bit on Thursday with no luck. There are a couple videos I watched and picked up a couple of trucks.

12. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

I'm guessing it does have COP's ? if so get it scanned , if its one cylinder it maybe an easy one to get to. If its random misfire it could be other things like fuel pressure regulator, DPFE, its rare for many COP's to go bad creating a random misfire. Not sure in your area but Autozone parts stores will scan vehicles for free here, I would not necessarily buy parts from them based on the scan without futher trouble shooting.

13. RJ lindblom

The way it's running I am pretty certain there is at least one or two cylinders that are not firing. A code reader is one of my next purchases.

I was going to start pulling the COPs and testing with an ohm meter. I will finally be back in town to tackle all this later on this afternoon.

14. RJ lindblom

I found a Craftsman DIagnostic Tool, pluged it in, confirming it is in fact the number 4 COP or "P0354" Now to figure out to get to it to swap it. I am thinking I can unplug the fuel injector wire harness for number 4 so I can get the 7MM socket, with extension swivel and another extension. I was impressed it was only throwing one code.

15. 91AK250

is it a 5.4 or 4.6?

i was able to do all my 5.4 plugs without removing anything except the intake tube and the bracket for the power steering bottle.

but my V10 excursion was 100x easier!

16. Milwaukee

I thought it was PITA I had 4 heater hoses around on that passenger side plus add insult deal with rusted bolts where 7MM wouldn't slip in it.

17. RJ lindblom

It's the 5.4. It is that far back one on the passenger side. The more I think about the more I like the V10. Our fire department squad truck is a 12 F550 with the v10. With everything loaded it will run all day at 95 MPH.

We have a command/utility F250 with a 5.4, not a totally bad setup. Granted it may see 1000 miles a year and is inside whenever it's not being driven.

18. 91AK250

yes the far back pass side SUCKS but i was able to get it. i'm a pretty little guy with small hands so maby that helped?

personally, i would get a few new coils (i went ahead and bought all new motorcraft ones) and kinda shot gun the problem but it is a pretty penny for them.

yes the V10 is the best kept secret in the ford truck world. i've had 3 2V v10s in my 3 excursions and i LOVE them. all the work trucks we are doing for BP (the oil company) are all F-550 and LOADED down but with 4:88s they move fast and are VERY reliable.

19. RJ lindblom

I kind of have fat fingers. I almost had the socket on the coil. I tried last night, it was getting late and I was tired. I picked up one COP last week, I bought a Bosch with what they claim is liketime warrenty.

BTW, cool thread on your over at the FTE forum.