1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 dodge cummins removal

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by UB_Bomber, Nov 3, 2009.

1. UB_Bomber

UB_Bomber Junior Member

Hey. I have been looking around for some helpful tips on a 97 dodge 3500 engine removal. I am an apprentice at a machine shop and have not done any cummins yet. I was browsing here an yall sound really knowledgeable.

So far I have got the head off just to see what went wrong. The number 5 exhaust valve is sideways in the cylinder head and every piston was slapping the head. And the number 5 piston is almost gone. I have got another rebuild able core here. So the install is going to be fresh. But I have also got most of the electrical off and the PS lines disconnected. All that is left is the trans and motor mounts. Front clip has also been removed.

Any tips at this point would be helpful. Thanks a lot guys.
  2. stillen

stillen Senior Member

3. 4wydnr

4wydnr Senior Member
    from N. IL

If the head is removed it should be fairly easy to get the engine out. If it was still on you would need to remove the oil pan and probably the oil pump assembly. I pulled a motor for a conversion I am doing and had a heck of a time even with cutting the cowl. Just my two cents.
  4. 4wydnr

4wydnr Senior Member
    from N. IL