1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 dakota

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by pdude, Dec 18, 2005.

1. pdude

pdude Junior Member
    from ct

i have a 97 dakota wit a 5.2l v8 what plow brand would be the best.. and wut should i expect to pay?

2. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Need more info such as.......Quad Cab, short box, long box, tire size, etc. Let us know.:confused:

3. kgb

kgb Member
    from nj

You can eazy go with 10-12' heavy plow... Just kidding!!!!!

Question to you: What are you trying to do, make a buck or for your own property?
    If this about make some $$, I would rather look for some rusty old 1/2 ton and up plow truck- it may be cheaper.
    If this is for yourself, I would go with poly(all plastic) 6' with push down piston ( as far as I remember, 4-5 years ago I was looking above $3k. I use to have toyota and was shopping for a plow also.) Less likely you'll find any used ones, atleast not in my state.
    Have you done plowing before?
    I may be wrong (I HOPE!), but rusty plow truck to make some $ or even good snow blower will be your best bet.
    Maybe someone has better idea.

4. pdude

pdude Junior Member
    from ct

it is a quad cab, short box. i bought a 1980 ford 350 2wd wit a 8 foot plow and even with 5000lbs of sand the tires still spin i already have 10 driveways. the ford is just to unreaible and gets stuck all the time:help:

5. 78W200

78W200 Member

Western has a new plow I think it is called the Subranite. It is for Suvs and small trucks it only weighs 250lbs. Go to their web site, they have a place you can see what blade is recommend for your vehicle. Could not tell you what the cost is.

6. kgb

kgb Member
    from nj

On your ford, have you tried chains?

7. pdude

pdude Junior Member
    from ct

yea the chains work but when im drivin in the road they keep breakin n tearing up the mud flaps

8. kgb

kgb Member
    from nj

Studed tiers?
    I have 2500, but almost never use 4x4, just making sure to have good load on the back and good allweather tires.

9. kgb

kgb Member
    from nj

Hey! You may want to look in IMPORT TRUCKS forum, there's lots of info for your size truck.

10. Pusher Joe

Pusher Joe Junior Member

dodge

I have 99 dodge and was thinking of installing a plow.This would be my leisure truck.If the plow is heavy the front end has to be reinforced,If it is to light it will not scrape properly.I have 4 Chevy's 81,83,85,89. all 4x4+ the dually.All have 500LB of 4mm gravel and studded tires have very little problems.For the big snow the mighty machines go out cat & case backhoe.
    hope I answered your question.:dizzy:

11. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Anything that weighs under 500lbs on the Dakota. If you're doing driveways I'd go with a Snoway for the downpressure option. Get a set of Timbrens, crank the torsion bars and put about 600lbs of weight in the bed. I used a 99 with a 6.5 Meyer with prowings for 2 years and never had a problem, just make sure you change the transmission fluid every year with only ATF+4.

Also not to be an a$$hole but a '97 Dakota would be an extended cab, quad's didn't show up till '01 (I think). In '97 they offered the reg cab with a long or short bed and the extended cab short bed.

12. pdude

pdude Junior Member
    from ct

yeah your right it is an extend cab i just got bac from a snoway dealer they wouldnt put the 22 seris n would only put the st plow which the hieght is just to short for me

13. festerw

festerw Senior Member

That's weird is there another snoway dealer around? Their website shows mount's available for the ST/MT series, the 22 weighs alot less than the MT.

I have to say I thought the 18" moldboard would suck too but after using it, it really isn't too bad the curl of it will let it move alot of snow.

14. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

7 foot Curtis would work.