1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 chevyk2500hd w/8' x blade headlight headache please help

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by gordon24, Feb 10, 2007.

1. gordon24

gordon24 Junior Member
    from ma

i bought a plow for my truck a couple weeks ago and when i started it i noticed my high beam indicator light on the dash was on so i tryed to shut them off but it didn't do anything no matter how you have them on or off the lights on the truck are on my drl's or low beam and my high beams before the plow was installed everything worked fine now i got a problem and the guy said he hooked everything up right. it doesn't matter plow on or off the high beam light stays on. please help

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

i unfortunatly can't answer your question, i know someone on here can though.....ide send this via PM but you don't have access yet, but, can you post pics of your truck if/when you get a chance?? i also have a 97 chevy 2500 w/ 8ft fisher!!

thanks
    -mike-

3. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Configuration Plug?

Hi

Check the wiring diagram on Fisher's site, look under the technical section.

GM's are famous for strange headlight phenomenons, more times than none you need to check the wiring on the configuration plug.

Oh by the way, I like your handle!

Is there a Jeff JR in the future?

Jay

4. gordon24

gordon24 Junior Member
    from ma

how do you re configure the plug without messing it up?

5. gmcsierra1500

gmcsierra1500 Senior Member
    from CT

maby?

Im just taking a guess here cause i had a similar problem but did you check your truck headlight fuses? when I was installing my plow I cross the wires backwards and it poped the fuses causeing the high beam light on my dash to stay on

6. gordon24

gordon24 Junior Member
    from ma

not just the indicator but the high beams to they are on as well as the low beams. and during the day when you don't use headlights my drl's and high beams are on

7. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

So no matter what you do the high beams are on, is that correct? A few clarifying questions please.

- Is this with the plow on and off or just with the plow mounted?
    - Are your drls wired through the plow too or just main headlights and turn signals?
    - Do all the other lights operate properly at all times and its just the high beams tht act wierd?
    - Do you have automatic headlights or do you turn on a switch at night?
    - Since this plow was mounted have the lights worked correctly at all or did this start the instant the plow was hooked up?

I'm just guessing here since my truck is the newer style amd I have dedicated drl lamps (which I opted to not tie into the plow circuit) while your uses the main beams IIRC. I bet when your installer hooked up your plow wiring and spliced into the DRL circuit he somehow cross wired the high beam into the drl and/or low beams...since your drl's are also your low beams it will run the high beams whenever any lights are on. Just a guess but I bet the problem is right where the Fisher plugs are spliced into the headlamps.

Just for kicks, what happens if you start the truck up with the parking brake on? On most cars with drls the e-brake on when starting keeps the drls and automatic lights from coming on until you turn off the e-brake. Just curious if all lights stay off in this case...that would put another nail in the miswired drl theory imho.

Since you paid a guy to do this, it seems incument on him to fix it. I don't care if he says he did it right or not. Your headlights worked fine before you had it hooked up, right? Then he goes into the headlamp circuits and splices wires into the system and now it doesn't work properly?

8. gordon24

gordon24 Junior Member
    from ma

yes the high beams are on all the time plow mounted or not. if i put on the e brake the high beams and low beams go out. he also told me everything was plugs no tapping into headlights just directionals, parking lights, and the fuse panel for the controller power feed or something. yes all my lights worked fine before. and all my other lights work fine. no i do not have auotmatic headlights. i don't know if the drl's are wired through the plow or not since as soon as i hook it up the lights come on anyway but i don't know if it's high beams or drl's that are on so can't tell.yes all this mess started the day i had the plow installed when i picked it up. he said it was impossible he messed it up because he said a monkey could do it the grey plugs to headlights black plugs to high beams and they cant be hooked up wrong because they won't plug into the opposite ones. i have been arguing with this guy for about two weeks now and he said all he can do to shut me up is take everything out.

9. MOXIE

MOXIE Member

light problem

Sounds like you have a relay or feedback problem. check wiring at center terminals
    on relays. Remove each relay and put 12vdc to outside terminals, relay should clic.
    then check that relay is switching contacts from no to nc. you can find a schematic
    on the relay. MOXIE

10. gordon24

gordon24 Junior Member
    from ma

well an update i disconnected the high beam plugs from the plow wiring and just left the plugs hooked up that go to the headlights and my lights on the truck are back to normal but i assume when i put the plow on i will have no highbeams. so does this mean i have a wrong cable or is there a way to fix it? i found the configuration plug but it only has a cap on the end with what appears to be metal plugs in it is that normal? i couldn't wait to get a plow for this truck my old truck was an '88 chevy and it had a mm1 with the pump off the engine so it was a lot easier this is turning into a nightmare. i hope this gives someone a clue as to what my problem is please help and thanks for the tips you guys already gave this site is great thanks alot. STEVE

11. MOXIE

MOXIE Member

Light Problem

What is the part no on the truck harness??

12. gordon24

gordon24 Junior Member
    from ma

i don't know, where would i find the number? is there a sticker on it or something? the harnesses plug into my headlighs and highbeams with no problem. i just don't understand what make the high beams come on as soon as i plug in the clip to the light.

13. gordon24

gordon24 Junior Member
    from ma

of coarse it just started snowing and my lights suck but i can still plow the first snow with lowbeams. i don;t really ever use highbeams plowing but i just like everything to work right if you know what i mean. and thanks for the help i love this site

14. gordon24

gordon24 Junior Member
    from ma

well i survived the whopping 2 inches we got with just low beams. so now it's back to getting this done right. i am still wondering where do i locate the cable numbers?