1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 chevy worn out engine

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by OBRYANMAINT, Jul 7, 2003.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

I have had this truck from new and it is in great shape body and mechanical.problem is that the engine is just worn out 120k.

looking for opinions on weather i sell it now while all is well(body,etc) and get a bit of money for it or repower it and keep going

I know there are many other factors that would influence a decision but looking for what others think
  2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I've been in that exact situation a couple times and i have found that after going with a new heart that the rest of the truck will slowly nickel and dime you to death:mad: .I'm sure others have had great sucess,this is just what I personaly have found anyways.
  3. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Why is the motor worn out? My 93 has 137,000 miles on it and runs very well. What does this truck do (pull trailers, plow?) That seems funny it is worn out unless it has been used really hard JMO.
  4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I'm curious too about what makes you think it's worn out. Have you done a compression test? If only one cylinder is low, it could be just a bad valve.

My 3500 has 187,000 and still runs strong.

To answer your question, if the truck is truly sound otherwise, I'd put a motor in it. GM's target engines are tough to pass up.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2003
  5. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Yea, Im a little curious too, because 120k isnt really that bad, especially on one of these motors. Did you take care of it and change the oil and filter often? Thats so important to stay on top of those oil changes. My 92 has a little over 107k miles and I swear it runs perfect like when it was new, but it has been taken care of like a baby. Nowadays 100k or so miles is nothing and doesnt mean much if the motor was taken care of. Also what Arc Burn said about an older vehicle nickel and diming you to death is totally true no matter how well it was taken care of. Certain things are just bound to wear out or break. Mike
  6. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'd keep it.Of course your going to have some problems with it,but you will with a newer one as well.When the newer ones start to act up,they are big $$$.The new stuff has just become way to complicated.

I'd first try to figure out if it's really worn out,or not someting else,like a plugged cat convertor or something.A few more details on the problem would help.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money on it,then diagnose whats wrong with it,and repair it or do a cheap rebuild.

If you do plan to keep the truck for a while,then go with a GM crate motor,or a better quality rebuild,like a Jasper.

from ohio

I always did excellent maint, lube and oil,etc....a mechanic told me it was worn after i could not figure out why it missed ...he says its fouling the plugs and a new engine would be the best bet

I normally would not even consider such a proposal ,but the truck does get used good

summer has a 16 foot landscape trailer 5 days a week loaded with riders and an easy dumper loaded to the gills from time to time

fall has a leaf box on it and sucks leaves, often with trailer

winter plows 7.5 with wings, easy dumper has a salter in it and we usually load 1-2 tons a morning ---about 35 to 45 salting per season

so really i use the truck a good bit

I have an 89 that was in the same scenario....and it is nickel and diming me to death

I will try another mechanic and see if the same fix is given before making a decision
  8. wyldman

wyldman Member

When you take it back in,have them give it a once over,and an opinion on the overall condition of the truck.If they come back with a huge list of expensive items,then maybe it's time to get rid of it.

If it's all small stuff,then consider keeping it.
  9. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Something as simple as worn valve guides or seals could make the plugs foul, or a bad O2 sensor will do the same thing. I'd get someone who you trust and is competent to check it over thoroughly and give you a report as Chris suggests. My '92 3500 has seen its share of hard work and still runs strong at 187,000.

Any idea of what tests the mechanic you reference did?

from ohio

engine definately worn.....low compression and foulinf plugs after a few months
  11. wyldman

wyldman Member

Time for a rebuild,or get rid of it.