1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 7.3 no exhaust.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by nixray, Dec 29, 2013.

1. nixray

nixray Senior Member

Will I cause havoc if I continue to run my D/D 97 7.3
    With NO exhaust from the manifolds back.??

This truck does not plow or salt. It does have 217.xxx
    With no mods.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Ummm, what happened to the rest?

I would advise against it. What is going to keep the cold air from rushing into the motor when you shut it down. This can wreak havoc on valves. A 97 should be a powerstroke, meaning it had a turbo and was designed to run a turbo. Not to mention that has to be extremely loud.

3. nixray

nixray Senior Member

What. I can't hear you.....yes it's a turbo. And I bought it with no exhaust. The price I got it for, I can afford exhaust.
    Just wondering if I can wait till spring??

4. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Id be careful cause you have zero back pressure like that. So you have a downpipe and nothing else?

Drop it off at a exguast shop and have them run a pipe back for you.

5. nixray

nixray Senior Member

Correct. From down pipe back there is nothing.
    Considering I paid 500 for it and it wasn't used for long with the lack of exhaust before I got it. I'll take care of it. Before I'm rebuilding a 7.3

6. nixray

nixray Senior Member

Will open exhaust be ok? Or shall I run mufflers??

7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

On my '96 and '00 I took the muffler out, stuck in a piece of pipe in it's place and ran both of them for 150k with no issues. EGT ran lower, some improvement with performance and mileage.

8. kimber750

Ok, thought you said manifolds only.

Diesels don't like back pressure. Also since it is a turbo it doesn't need to scavenge air out of the motor.

Mine is straight piped. Cheap way would be get some 3" and a 45 and exit just in front of the rear tire.

Thumbs Up

9. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

I know they don't like back pressure. But no back pressure at all isn't good either. This isn't a race truck lol

10. 04trd

04trd Senior Member

Open me up and roll coal! Hell look at the guys who do all the diesel pulls. The have a 90 degree pipe coming from the turbo out the hood. I've got a 05 ford 6.0 that's tuned and I've got a 5 inch straight pipe from the turbo back no problems runs great. As long as it's not cut off right at the down pipe right under the motor your fine absolutely nothing to worry about

11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

It all depends on how you run it, pulling a trailer with some decent weight on it is where minimal backpressure is a happy thing. As I said before my EGT's ran lower which means a cooler burn and less of a chance of scorching a piston or burning one. BTW most OTR trucks and farm machinery run straight pipes for this reason.

12. kimber750

I should of been a little more specific. The turbo will create all the back pressure needed. Like running a gas engine with 4" straight pipes will hurt it more than help.

13. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

I didnt say anything against straight pipes. Ain't no problem with that. I would be concerned about not having any exhaust on the truck like he said

14. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

I agree with you

15. nixray

nixray Senior Member

Ok. Now I'm gonna have to go look. I 99% sure it's manifolds back.

16. kimber750

:confused: If you have nothing off manifolds, you have no up pipes to turbo. If you have no down you just blowing exhaust right at the cab. If you only have a down pipe you are dumping all the exhaust right under the cab. This can be a safety problem if you get exhaust coming into the cab.

17. nixray

nixray Senior Member

Ok. I looked I have exhaust from mani back. They exhaust is missing from about 6" north of where the can should be.
    Make sense? In other words it dumps just about under the front pass seat.

18. kimber750

That is the end of the down pipe.

19. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

+1, just order a section of 4" pipe and some 45's and bring out from under the truck. I drove my old 94 ram 2500 V10 home from Mass with the exhaust ending In the same spot and had to shut the motor off at stop lights it was so bad. Just get it out from under the truck and run a nice MBRP system come spring :D

20. nixray

nixray Senior Member

Sweet. Will do. I'm seriously considering some mods like a wicked wheel. I'd love to run a 6 pos. Chip. But know
    all to well, adding mods to a engine with 200xxx + that has never seen em. Is a good way to end up walking.