1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

97 7.3 diesel starts hard

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Ziob34, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Ziob34

Ziob34 Senior Member

got a 97 f350 with the 7.3 getting ready for winter and for some reason its starting hard........what used to start on the first cycle (wait for light and glow plugs to heat up) now takes a good 3 to 4 times through to start. Glow plugs were new last year don't think it is them but could be wrong......any ideas? once its started it'll started up on a dime all day long this problem only happens in the morning when its been sitting all night.

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

What brand of glow plugs did you use? I've heard the Auto Zone types are known for burning up pretty quick. How new is the GP relay?

I guess it's also possible that you have an air leak in a fuel line somewhere.

3. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I bet you have a bad glow plug relay. You can get an updated relay from your local ford dealership that comes with a new wire harness that converts the old style (94-98) to the new style (99-03). I had that problem with my 97 and its quite common. The relay wears out over time and wont allow enough amps through it too the glow plugs

4. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

You could change ur oil in the high pressure oil pump, that could help also

5. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

I agree with Plowtoy, had a 97 and that fixed the same problem.

6. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Dont overlook the simple things, is it turning over good? 7.3's like their rpms for cold starts.. make sure your batteries and all connections are good!

7. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

GPR most likely, just did mine again. Use a fisher or western they last longer than that Napa junk and cost alot less.

8. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

Thats not any different than changing the engine oil. Get a volt meter and check the relay yourself. Have someone turn the key on while you check the two large posts on the relay for ~12v. It should also stay on for about a minute in cold weather. You should also hear it click. How many miles on the engine and are the injectors originals?

9. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

True changing the oil in the hp pump that mixes with the regualr oil any way is a big was of time. Also checking to gp realy use an amp meter do not look for voltage is means nothing when checking for amp draw. You can have a bad gp relay that will show 12 v on both sides but is not passing the amps.See it all the time with all types of relays. It should draw around 180 with the correct glow plugs (beru) those are the only brand you ever want to run in them! Any less amps you have bad glow plugs. O to 5 amps bad relay. It takes about 5 min the ck out how the whole system is operating. :mechanic:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  10. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

^^^what he said. You just have to open the box and see what brand they are. Dont use autolites mainly. Another thing to check though is the level of the oil in the HPOP resirvoir. Little allen plug in the top of the resirvoir right on top and in the very front of the engine. Stick a screw driver in there and make sure the level is within about an inch of the top. If not, you may have a drainback issue and cranking the engine 3-4 times could be the hpop priming back up before it will have enough pressure to fire the injectors.

How many miles on the truck?

11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Also. Try to ohm out the glow plugs at the valve cover connector that will tell you if you have a issue under the cover

12. brad96z28

If you do the amp draw test at gp solenoid you dont need to waste time doing that.If you have a 180 amps you know they are ALL working. Unless you are getting paid by the hour or something.

13. dieselss

Sorry but how many pple have an amp clamp? Not exactly standard auto tool

14. brad96z28

Anyone that wants to fix a vehicle. Same principle with testing a starter or alternator checking volts and voltage drops does not tell amp output or draw.

15. dieselss

So what happens when you don't have 180,,,,gotta do the ohm test so 6 to 1 or half dozen to the other. Whatever you have, whatever is easiest

16. brad96z28

Depends on what you get for amps . Say you had 140 or 160 amp that means you have 1 or 2 out, And that will never even create a hard start problem on one of these systems So you would look elsewhere for a problem. The old non ps engines even 1 being out would cause hard start problems. If you get a 5 or 10 amp reading you replace the gp solenoid, 0 amps ck wiring at the gp solenoid for propper operation wiring checks out change gp solenoid. If you want to ck each gp one at a time the easy way is with a test light at the valve cover connectors.Test light lights gp is good. Its a fairly simple system. I know on the later ones I have had to clear trouble codes after I found the problem for the system to function propperly again.

17. dieselss

Well 1 or 2 might depending upon temp but the op never said anything about smoke. 1 or 2 will cause ruff running. If you had 140 amps your still Gunna ck to see which ones are bad regardless. And how many pple ck the amps on a charging system that's operating and 14.5. If you turn on lights and heater and it drops below specs,,why ck amps alts bad. If alts only putting out 12.5. Why ck amps alts bad. And how many pple on this site, have a test light, dvom, and an amp probe.

18. brad96z28

1or 2 being out will not cause a hard start in these temps. If it had a 140 amp draw I would not bother checking them I would want to find out why it starts hard first. Because that wont do it. Changed alot of alternators that put out 14.5 volts but only 25 or 30 amps. As a matter of fact i did one 2 weeks ago on a tundra charging just enough amps to keep the battery light off and had near 14 v running but was getting a dead battery alternaor did not supply enough amps to charge the battery. So I would say mechanics and people that have a clue ck amps.

19. dieselss

At 14.5 with lights on and heater on high? No way they put out 14.5. maybe at idle with no load sure but I need load ill agree 1or2 at these temps will not be a hard start,,,but will be a smoking start

20. brad96z28

Lights and heater dont draw what 15 -20 amps thats not enough to make any kind of a test. Voltage while cranking is something you can go by.That bad alternator did not 14.5 as many alternators I check dont it was around 14v I use a carbon pile load testor to see what the alternator does.Some cars have computer controlled where the voltage is lowered by the computer and has nothing to do with the alternator. Yes might see slight smoke at inital start up with a couple or more out. And the only gp solenoids I have used to replace bad ones have been motorcraft with no problems. I have never tried a plow solenoid that is much cheaper.Might work just as good?